diy solar

diy solar

Solar Set-up components question

DyslexicDancer

I'm setting up an Off-Grid solar power system for a Cabin in East Texas

My Main system parts consist of:
12 SunPower 330W panels (panels will be wired 2 in series)
2 solar ground mounts made from Unistrut
2 Solar Combiner boxes (1 for each solar panel mount)
2 Victron 150/45 Smart Solar charge controllers
1 Victron Smart Shunt
1 Victron Lynx Distributor
1 Growatt 3000W inverter
1 30 KW/H server rack battery
1 battery cutoff switch
2 Two Pole DC 50 Amp Breakers (Between the Charge Controllers and the Lynx Distributor)
1 Two Pole DC 125 Amp Breaker (Between the Lynx Distributor and the Inverter)

This is my current plan to wire up the system, (not shown in the ground wire from the AC Breaker box to the grounding rods)

Am I forgetting anything important or adding unneeded items?

Also I'm thinking about adding in a Cerbo GX so i can monitor this system remotely, any thoughts or opinion an adding this would be appreciated

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 1.03.27 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Growatt an AIO?
If so, why not wire the solar panels directly to it? And save a lot of money and trouble.

Is that Growatt an AIO?
If so, why not wire the solar panels directly to it? And save a lot of money and troubl
The Panels I have are SunPower 330W Panels with a Voc of 64.9V, so 2 panels in series could overvolt the 145V limit of my inverter during a record low temperature event, so it was either buy a new inverter, new panels, or use charge controllers with a higher Voc limit

I decided on the Charge Controller route because I like Victron, and I like the idea of keeping the charge controllers separate from the inverter.

The Panels I have are SunPower 330W Panels with a Voc of 64.9V, so 2 panels in series could overvolt the 145V limit of my inverter during a record low temperature event, so it was either buy a new inverter, new panels, or use charge controllers with a higher Voc limit

I decided on the Charge Controller route because I like Victron, and I like the idea of keeping the charge controllers separate from the inverter.
Makes sense. 145 is pretty low.
Noted, I was planning on running a ground rod for the Breaker panel at it's location, it's just not on this diagram
I read that. But it looked like you were going to be installing two separate rods. And was warning against it.

Makes sense. 145 is pretty low.

I read that. But it looked like you were going to be installing two separate rods. And was warning against it.
I will be using two ground rods, one at the panel, and one at the solar array, approximately 20 feet apart, but I will be bonding both ground rods together with bare Solid AWG 6 wire

I will be using two ground rods, one at the panel, and one at the solar array, approximately 20 feet apart, but I will be bonding both ground rods together with bare Solid AWG 6 wire
20' isn't terrible. But when installing multiples, we generally keep them within 10' of each other. (6' is the minimum) It's more detrimental than beneficial to spread them apart.
And the GEC must be unbroken from the service panel to both rods. (The conductor is passed through the connection at the first rod)
The EGC for the array is a separate conductor from the GEC. They serve different purposes.

20' isn't terrible. But when installing multiples, we generally keep them within 10' of each other. (6' is the minimum) It's more detrimental than beneficial to spread them apart.
And the GEC must be unbroken from the service panel to both rods. (The conductor is passed through the connection at the first rod)
The EGC for the array is a separate conductor from the GEC. They serve different purposes.
I can get the ground rods with-in 10' of each other if that will help, it would just make the EGC run over the bare copper 6 AWG wire about 10' longer than I was originally planning.

Only reason for the 2 ground rods is I believe Code requires it, all I could find was it saying minimum 6 feet apart, but it did not list a maximum distance.

I can get the ground rods with-in 10' of each other if that will help, it would just make the EGC run over the bare copper 6 AWG wire about 10' longer than I was originally planning.

Only reason for the 2 ground rods is I believe Code requires it, all I could find was it saying minimum 6 feet apart, but it did not list a maximum distance.
It would save you 10' of GEC. The EGC length won't change.
These are two different conductors, serving two different purposes.
GEC (Grounding Electrode Conductor)
This connects the Grounding Electrode/s (rod/s) to the grounding system. (At the main service panel)
EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor)
This bonds all Equipment and exposed conductive parts to the grounding system.

At the array.
You will bond all solar panel frames and racking (if metal). And run it to your combiner box. Because this is exposed to physical damage. (Not in conduit) this section must be a minimum of #6 AWG)
And then from the combiner box (with the PV conductors) to the SCC (Solar Charge Controller). If this section is in conduit, it can be sized by the circuit protection. (See table below)
If the SCC's don't provide ground terminals. You can add a ground bar nearby for all EGC's. And take a single EGC back to the main ground bar. (At the main service panel)
EGC's are always ran with circuit conductors. When multiple circuits are ran together. Only one EGC is required. (Sized by the largest circuit in the group)7uqFA.jpg

Back