diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO⁴ High / Low Temps

heirloom hamlet

life my way
We hear a lot about high and low temperature monitoring, but what is the recommendation of the highest high and lowest low we are shooting for? Or even a known range we are shooting for...is there a chart out there?

Sometimes I hear that you will damage the cells if the are CHARGED at or below freezing temp. Does this mean it is safe to USE them around 32F, but not charge? I am in southeastern South Carolina and from time to time in the night it may reach 30 degrees, but rarely if ever will it be that cold in the daytime. Any insight would be appreciated.

The chart you are looking for is in the datasheet provided by your battery manufacturer.
I realize that not all manufacturers provide the datasheet :-(

It might be helpful to look at the datasheet for an CALB LiFePO4 battery. It's available in the resources section of this forum (first page of results).
My EVE LiFePO4 280Ah battery shows that I can charge at 32F with these currents(%SOC):
0A(100-80), 56A(80-50), 140A(50-0)

It sure would be nice if there was a smart charge controller that could take temperature into consideration. Does such a beast exist?

diy solar

diy solar
Back