diy solar

diy solar

LifePo4 charging issue?

Flyfishing55

I just completed my 4 cell prismatic battery build and awaiting one SAE to SAE extension wire for my solar panel. I have a 4 cell Lifepo4 280ah battery, Victron 100/30 controller, 4-S BMS, 160w Overland solar panel and Aili battery monitor. As I'm awaiting for the SAE extension, I decided to plug in to shore power to see if i could charge my battery to 14.0 volts. I see no change and my battery remains around 13.25. My BMS and Victron blue tooth show no charging. Am I full at 13.25? I thought my shore power would charge my battery to the 4.0 limit. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Do you mean you attached a separate battery charger? Is it a lifepo4 charger, or lead acid charger? To check the charger out, if you have a clamp or other ammeter, you can verify that no amps are "flowing". Then check the charger using a car battery (preferably disconnect the ground cable from it first) and see if you get amps. With a charged battery, you won't see much, but you should see a little.

Shore power to a Four Wheel Camper 110/125 volt DC. The Victron shows 3.25 volts, no current. Xiaoxiang blue tooth (BMS) is showing 3.24 volts and the no charging. My old camper had a Renogy panel and controller. When you plugged it in on shore power, it would charge to 14.4 volts immediately. Maybe this camper has a different set-up. I wish had a my SAE extension so I could run straight solar. Cable is coming on Thursday.

I tried using an older charger with ampmeter to do an initial top-balance. I checked the cells with my volt meter at the end of the charge showed 14.4 Volts on all four cell. A few hours later they were around 3.3/3.25. They have been at 3.25 for the past 48 hours. Shore power has not changed the voltage. The battery charger I have isn't for Lithium batteries.

I would have to guess here. Is your converter in boost? Or 13.2 volt float mode? Or perhaps the 13.6 volt mode? (Most likely) best guess is your around 80 to 90% full.

Thinking my Four Wheel camper converter is set for 12 volt and can't push more than 12.3 volts to reach my 14.0 bulk. I checked the IOTA fuse and no problem. I will get my SAE extension cable tomorrow and then I will see if my solar unit can up my voltage to 14.0. Grizz: I don't think I have a boost option on my converter. At least we could not find one. Tim

IOTA a charger? I have one and they default to 13.2v float.. a plug is required to put them into boost or 14.2v

IOTA a charger? I have one and they default to 13.2v float.. a plug is required to put them into boost or 14.2v

Some IOTA charges come with the IQ functionality built in. But otherwise, they are a three stage charger. With IQ they become a four stage charger.

What is a "plug" and is that how I can get a boost...I am certainly stuck at 13.25 volts. The IOTA was checked and the fuse is ok. My SAE extender cable will be here tomorrow afternoon...can't wait to see if get to 14.0 volts that way. Thanks in advance on that info on the plug and/or boost....Tim

What is a "plug" and is that how I can get a boost...I am certainly stuck at 13.25 volts. The IOTA was checked and the fuse is ok. My SAE extender cable will be here tomorrow afternoon...can't wait to see if get to 14.0 volts that way. Thanks in advance on that info on the plug and/or boost....Tim
On my charger, the IQ or charge controller isn't built in. There is a box that is mounted on the outside and plugs into a phone jack on the unit. Yours might not have that if it is built in. In that case, your batteries must be drawn down enough to charge at full power before boost is activated. If IQ is not built in, they come with a phone plug and a wire loop to manually put the charger into boost mode.

In any event, after tomorrow afternoon, it's a moot point.

Mandrews44, You are correct, got my extension cable and up and running with a bulk at 14.0. Only question: I was told you do not need to set FLOAT rate on a Lifepo4 battery. Do you know the answer to that question. I set the bulk to 14.0. and since I have a BMS and Victron controller I decided to set the float anyways to 13.6. Anyone have the answer, please let me know. thanks, Tim

NO float, see here:

Worth reading the whole thing.

Mandrews44, You are correct, got my extension cable and up and running with a bulk at 14.0. Only question: I was told you do not need to set FLOAT rate on a Lifepo4 battery. Do you know the answer to that question. I set the bulk to 14.0. and since I have a BMS and Victron controller I decided to set the float anyways to 13.6. Anyone have the answer, please let me know. thanks, Tim
Float becomes a confusing option when not put in the context of your period of time you'll be floating. I float every day but there is a always some load on the system and it might only be for 6 hours before the sun goes down.

If it will be a long period of time between uses a different approach maybe needed.

NO float, see here:

Worth reading the whole thing.
A hard line in the sand isn't always the best approach until all mitigating factors are figured in. ;)

A hard line in the sand isn't always the best approach until all mitigating factors are figured in. ;)

Agreed and the article offers good advice if you cannot turn off the float.

The NO was my opinion and then I linked a good article to help the OP make their own decision ?

Agreed and the article offers good advice if you cannot turn off the float.
You wouldn't want to 'turn off the float' because otherwise your battery would be servicing all your 12V (or whatever) loads even whilst the sun was shining. You should set float to the rested terminal voltage of your Lithium-ion battery (or slightly higher for lead-acid to trickle-charge it) so that your SCC will power your 12V loads whilst the sun is out. Once the SCC can no longer maintain the float voltage (i.e. evening), the battery will then take over.

Back