diy solar

diy solar

LightCatcher Solar OK?

danrclem

There are so many solar panels out there that this newbie is unsure on what to buy. I have found these panels sold by LightCatcher Solar and would like to know if anybody has any idea as to how good they are or aren't. These have free shipping so that's a big plus. Do you know of any panels that would be a better product or a better deal.

I usually check BBB before I buy and I couldn't find any information about this company.

Rigid solar panels are practically all the same, within the same tech node and type (poly vs mono, etc). Inverters are a different matter.

Harbor Freight has had panels for a long time, and I think Home Depot does too. Sometimes there’s deals on Amazon and WalMart, with shipping.

How does panel weight come into play if the panels are the same size? Is a heavier panel or a lighter panel more desirable when more weight doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Not sure at this size.

There are some things that will intrinsically change the panel weight like whether it is bifacial (which requires heavier backing material) or how thick the frame is.

Shooting from the hip I think the frame thickness is the important parameter since it’s easiest to handle frames all of the same size when you mount them. Including thickness. Otherwise it gets annoying to use mid clamps.

Also if you’re getting a lot and in an area with a lot of solar usage it’s probably a lot cheaper to just buy used panels locally. These will likely be in the 200W-350W size range at this point. Some smoking deals available in EG California, since panels are kind of bulky borderline e-waste.

Actually there’s even pretty good deals for will call on new modern panels from solar supply houses. A bit of a supply glut these days.

I'm only buying four right now and I'm not in an area that has very much solar use. I'll check some of the solar supply houses. Thanks

I'm only buying four right now and I'm not in an area that has very much solar use. I'll check some of the solar supply houses. Thanks
If you don’t have a local one then it’s not worth ordering. No one will ship you a single due to freight cost and extreme chance of damage for a single.

Back