diy solar

diy solar

Long run (1400ft) Fiber Optic Cable vs Starlink Internet?

JBoffgrid2022

Any thoughts on pros & cons to installing a 1400ft fiber optic cable vs installing and subscribing to Starlink satellite internet?
I am going to be building a road that doesn't have any existing power or cable lines. The closest connections would be at the road, roughly 1400 feet away.

Any thoughts on pros & cons to installing a 1400ft fiber optic cable vs installing and subscribing to Starlink satellite internet?
I am going to be building a road that doesn't have any existing power or cable lines. The closest connections would be at the road, roughly 1400 feet away.
Starlink is $500 hardware plus $120 a month. Have to figure out how much you'd save with a fiber connection versus cost of digging a trench.

Latency. Lower is better. The fiber connection will be a fraction of the SL link.

It matters. Low latency bandwidth is more responsive.

Of course, the likely deciding factor is going to be the $$$, as it always is...

Another option would be a point to point wireless link, using carrier-grade gear. Set up an AP at the road, power it with a small solar system. Client at the far end.

This kind of stuff:

This would (should) have the benefits of the all-fiber drop without the expense of a 1400 ft cabling run.

Agree with the above post if you have the power available,line of sight and some form of locked enclosure, PTP is a viable option I've seen a few that can work upto 15km and the latency would likely be far less than starlink

I would run fiber...unless you have a solar system. We get Starlink for $60 a month here in Costa Rica (y) It's great not losing internet when the power drops out. My neighbors lose their connection because the providers lose power in the area.

Latency. Lower is better. The fiber connection will be a fraction of the SL link.

It matters. Low latency bandwidth is more responsive.

Of course, the likely deciding factor is going to be the $$$, as it always is...

Another option would be a point to point wireless link, using carrier-grade gear. Set up an AP at the road, power it with a small solar system. Client at the far end.

This kind of stuff:

This would (should) have the benefits of the all-fiber drop without the expense of a 1400 ft cabling run.
I like this idea, has anyone used this type of device?

And depending on what kind of road he is building, the trench might be nothing, cost-wise.
I think this is the key point.

Not sure what people think about the maintenance of fiber vs PTP WiFi. The PTP WiFi has to be powered, aimed, and has two higher complexity endpoints. Can be disrupted by vegetation and bad dudes

In principle the fiber can last a while if protected. And simpler endpoints.

There’s also the two is one strategy (ie pull a backup)

And depending on what kind of road he is building, the trench might be nothing, cost-wise.
When I say I'm building a road, I mean I'm building the road hahaha. Cost would be only the additional time to dig and bury a line in the ground. Also the cost of whatever cable I need to purchase. Suggestions for that cable?

I think this is the key point.

Not sure what people think about the maintenance of fiber vs PTP WiFi. The PTP WiFi has to be powered, aimed, and has two higher complexity endpoints. Can be disrupted by vegetation and bad dudes

We get a lot of snow and the area we are moving to is very thick with trees. Probably not the best setup for Starlink...

I use an older version of the Ubiquiti 5AC PTP stuff for a 1000' run with good success. I get a reliable connection (~400 MB/s), in all weather and the link has been in place for a couple of years now. Note that I have one endpoint in an attic and it still works well even going through the roof surface.

Starlink or other satellite internet could also change business model/pricing model/throttle more. Doing your own last mile seems a lot more homesteady and independent. For as independent as needing the data utilities hookup can be 😂

I've used and fitted a few they have their downsides but generally work well
Doesn't apply completely in this case but overhead sling fibre in my area gets destroyed by squirrels regularly, pesky things can't bite through wifi
Protection is key especially if op is in an area with ground dwelling rodents.
Backup would have to be a completely separate cable in a separate trench as the main concern being rodents or accidents likely both cables would get damaged if they were in the same trench.

Personally I'd buy sling cable and mount it to the poles rather than trench you have the problem of squirrels but trenching would be a higher cost of you went for armoured and your less likely to see any issues, if you buy excess cable and install loops at regular intervals you also have the option of splicing any damaged sections.

While building the road the cost of fiber is negligible-- something around $1/ft or less for direct burial 4-strand, pre-terminated. Even if you use starlink, having the flexibility in place is worth more than the cost IMO.

Cost for a pole installed is at least $1k, and you would likely need about 20. If stringing to trees... better buy a fiber splice kit.

I've used and fitted a few they have their downsides but generally work well
Doesn't apply completely in this case but overhead sling fibre in my area gets destroyed by squirrels regularly, pesky things can't bite through wifi

Protection is key especially if op is in an area with ground dwelling rodents.
OMG.... I totally didn't think of that! I also remember hearing recently that rodents really like the taste of plastic/vinyl coatings on wiring because a lot of the materials used now have soy in them...Ugh

Backup would have to be a completely separate cable in a separate trench as the main concern being rodents or accidents likely both cables would get damaged if they were in the same trench.

Personally I'd buy sling cable and mount it to the poles rather than trench you have the problem of squirrels but trenching would be a higher cost of you went for armoured and your less likely to see any issues, if you buy excess cable and install loops at regular intervals you also have the option of splicing any damaged sections.

Yup. I and a couple neighbors have a completely off grid wireless network serving a completely off-grid rural subdivision.

Many wireless PtP links between sites and AP to client links.

Longest is a 41km / 26 mile backhaul to the nearest Internet provider using 34 dBi dishes and 5Ghz Mikrotik gear.

If you understand the basics of commercial wireless, and the basics of solar power systems, it's very doable.

Starlink or other satellite internet could also change business model/pricing model/throttle more. Doing your own last mile seems a lot more homesteady and independent. For as independent as needing the data utilities hookup can be 😂
I’m with you on this…. Starlink either raise rates significantly or add’s way more users. I think it’s inevitable the system will slow way down. The Gov has already set the limit on satellites they can pollute the night sky with, so it’s just basic math after this… Company isn’t profitable and obviously will need rates set at X to cover cost, when raising rates doesn’t get them in the black they will need to load up with customers slowing the data speeds tremendously.

diy solar

diy solar
Back