diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a simple BMS for a portable battery for electric outboard

mitiempo

I am planning to put together 4 Calb CA100 cells in a watertight box with BMS for powering a Minn Kota 55lb thrust outboard. The only charging will be from a DC-DC Victron and I will probably add solar to the system. Max current out will be 50 amps and charging not over 30 amps. Common port is all that is needed.

All the Daly LiFePo4 BMS I can find are 3.75 volt charge cutoff and 2.2 volt discharge cutoff. I would like to find a BMS with 2.5 volt and 3.65 volt settings.

The simpler the better, and not expensive.

I am using the Electrodacus for the 400 AH system on the mother boat.

Any ideas?

There's really no harm in the Daly cut-offs you list unless you PLAN to use them that way... and you shouldn't. LFP can operate between 2.0 and 4.2V. Outside of 2.5-3.65 has diminishing returns (little available capacity) and shortens cycle life.

3.75 cut-off is really no big deal... If you want to get the most life out of your cells, set absorption to 3.45V/cell. They will take longer to charge, but they will do so at lower current and less stress to the cells.

If that unit meets your price point, I wouldn't have any hesitation.

There's really no harm in the Daly cut-offs you list unless you PLAN to use them that way... and you shouldn't. LFP can operate between 2.0 and 4.2V. Outside of 2.5-3.65 has diminishing returns (little available capacity) and shortens cycle life.

3.75 cut-off is really no big deal...
The 3.75 upper end is not the problem really as you state.

But with the battery in a closed watertight box the low end cutoff is a problem I think. When using the outboard I will not see any voltages and will have to rely on the BMS at the bottom end.

Ah. I see. Lots of cheap and easy voltmeters. Some are even waterproof:

Ah. I see. Lots of cheap and easy voltmeters. Some are even waterproof:

That's the solution I was thinking of too. Along with a small Daly it should work.
Thanks

Back