diy solar

diy solar

Epoch 460 12v a simple drop in for RV?

HaroldCal

Greetings y'all,

I have a 2008 Heartland Cyclone 40ft Toy Hauler, and I am looking to replaced my tired old Lead Acid batteries (6v, 2S2P). I've been eyeing the modern lithium batteries for awhile, and recently saw videos about the Epoch 460.

Ive been waiting for something self contained and relatively turnkey/drop-in, and if I'm understanding the specs on this one, it looks to be so. Low temp cutoff, heater, robust bms, and monitoring.

My question is this: the charger in my Rv is whatever originally came with the RV back in late 2007. I'm confident it's not lithium aware. Is the BMS on this Epoch battery sufficient to avoid me needing to do any other modifications, specifically replacing my charger/inverter setup? Meaning if the on board charger is not lithium-smart, the BMS will prevent any harm, right? It will still function safely?

I don't have any solar yet, although I would like to add it at some point. When I do, I will probably go with the whole Victron setup for the charger/inverter, etc. But right now, I am hoping for a simple drop in of a single Epoch 460 to replace my 4 6v batteries (running as 12v).

Please advise, thanks!

The converter will need to be replaced. A DC to DC for lithium charging between tow vehicle and camper. Charge wiring between camper and tow vehicle may need to be heavier. While changing out the converter you may want to upgrade to heavier wiring between battery and DC distribution panel.
Don't waste money on a WFCO converter they are junk.

My PD93xx series converter was much quieter and reliable than my old wfco. The victron is pricier, but if you are integrating other systems it is nice.

Back