diy solar

diy solar

Looking for SW Wisconsin solar mentor.

rgwbear

Im thinking about installing solar. I want to do most of the work myself, but grid tie paperwork seems a little intimidating. Do you need any paperwork for an off grid system as long it meets electrical code?

Randy
Richland county

Hi Randy,

My best guess is that they aren't needed for off grid but of course do everything to code. We can help you!

*Footnote: Does your site already have septic and/or a well? Some of the rural areas I work in don't require permits for electrical work but well drillers or septic installers aren't allowed to work unless the the utility has signed off on the service feeding the site. Some times it's vice versa. Never have figured it out.

Thanks for the reply. I called the County and they require a permit for off grid too. It took them several days to get back to me, so Im guessing they haven't been asked many times, if at all. That's alright I guess as I want an electrician doing the the important wiring and overseeing my project. I would really like to do an off grid as Im retired and have the time to monitor and I enjoy the challenge. I use 20 to 25 KW per day depending on ac. Our utility charges a lot for basic service and I end paying .20 to .22 cents per KW. If I go off grid, below is my 2 year plan to see if off grid is possible. We have a septic system.

Year 1
1. 20 400 watt bifacial solar panels ($108 each) on two strings of 4000 watts 370 Voc. I have a used adjustable ground mount ($800) and the panels will have no shade.
2. One EG4 6000 XP inverter with a EG4 power pro 13 KW battery. No grid connection on the inverter. Emergency battery charging with a plug in 120 volt charger. New load center for the off grid power.
3. After 6 months of inverter data, decide if off grid feasible.
4. If off grid looks feasible, add another 6000xp and power pro battery for 26kw of battery and a 12KW system. I like the idea of having redundancy with the inverters and batteries.
5. After everything is switched to the new load center and the system working well, have utility remove meter. Emergency power would be from a gas generator with a EG4 5000 watt charge/inverter for clean power to my inverter. I have a 26 and 52 HP diesel tractors if you think a pto generator is better for emergency power.

I know a lot of things have to go right, but Im hopeful. Even with one 6000 watt inverter, I think I can save money and do a good thing at the same time. I have the time, and I like keeping busy. Thanks to all of you for this forum and all the great you tube videos. What you are doing is so important. I look forward to all comments and suggestions.
Thanks, Randy

diy solar

diy solar
Back