diy solar

diy solar

Loose wire on solar charge controller

martstokeley

Hey guys,

I just bought a secondhand truck camper that has a couple of solar panels on the roof. When looking at the charge controller today I noticed that the red wire on the right hand side has come loose. According to the display, it looks like the system is still operating to some extent. Can someone please explain to me what function this wire is for and how I safely reattach it?

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Full interface.jpg
    Full interface.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 25
The two connection points on the right of the unit are load outputs. The type of controller you have is commonly used for remote lighting and the load output programmed to connect/disconnect to the battery under certain conditions.
user manual here,

The wire gauge of the disconnected wire is small so it wont be a significant load, perhaps a led light. In most applications the load outputs are not used and all the loads are connected to the battery.

Perhaps after digesting the controller instructions you may find a use for the load outputs. I would trace the cable and find out what it powered.

With a SH system you need to investigate what is connected where and ensure everything is electrically safe.

Mike

Thanks for your reply, Mike. Sounds like it is fairly non essential. Is it safe for me to just pop the wire back in? Do I have to disconnect anything first? Or are you saying that that question can't be answered until the wire has been traced?

Matt

Or are you saying that that question can't be answered until the wire has been traced?
More or less, it was disconnected for a reason so until you are sure its safe to connect its best left as it is.

Mike

So that turned out to be the easiest job ever! Now I can see why it was purposefully disconnected as I'm not sure why that light would be necessary. If I did want to reconnect the wire (which I currently don't see a need for), would it be safe to do so?

And thanks for helping me bumble my way through this, Mike!

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_082013064.jpg
    IMG_20210804_082013064.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 7
Wire it up, I guess the light will switch on when the sun goes down.

Mike

Back