diy solar

diy solar

Lots of venomous snakes around our property

kolek

Inventor of the Electron
Lots of venomous snakes around the property here. See snakes around all the time and maybe half the time they are venomous ones.

Was working in the area where we have our panels today and saw a Japanese pit viper (called "mamushi" in Japan). According to Wikipedia, "Every year, 2000–3000 people in Japan are bitten by a mamushi. Bitten victims typically require one week of treatment in a hospital." (They don't mention that Japanese hospitals will keep you a week in the hospital for something that is same day outpatient in the rest of the world).

Anyway, trying to figure out what I'm going to do about them, if anything. I'm 95% sure I'm going to just leave them alone. I realize they aren't aggressive. The one I saw today just slithered away. They’re vital to the ecosystem and serve as great pest control, getting rid of excess rodents and ticks.

On the other hand, because we have a lot of tall grass around it seems like it would be awfully easy to step on one. Yeah, I know I should keep the tall grass cut but that would become a full-time job and just too many other things to do.

We also have mukade (poisonous centipedes) and suzumebachi (the so-called "Murder Hornets") and I have no hesitation eliminating them.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks like rattle snake with colors. I had a pet rattle snake - poisonous snake as a kid. It bite me so I bite it back….it died. Rattle snakes normally rattle to warn. 😳😞🎶🙈

Have you tried eating them. Everything else taste like chicken. In military survival school SERE killed a few snakes they not so yum yum … . Chewy.

Me - I kill rattle snakes ….had king snakes around always let them and non poison go. King snakes kill rattle snakes yum yum to them.
IMG_7295.png

Never ever kill these snakes Ever. They are good snakes. Kill copperheads. Another more common poison snake here. You guys need some snakes like these.

IMG_7297.png

Never ever kill these snakes Ever.
Thanks for your message. You're referring to mamushi now? Why do you say never kill them? I wasn't planning to kill them but would like to understand why you say that. Why do you kill rattlers but advise me to spare these?

Reactions: D71
Thanks for your message. You're referring to mamushi now? Why do you say never kill them? I wasn't planning to kill them but would like to understand why you say that. Why do you kill rattlers but advise me to spare these?
No you can do as likey….me would kill the mamushi.

I advise ppl do not kill KingSnake.

IMG_7297.png

Lots of venomous snakes around the property here. See snakes around all the time and maybe half the time they are venomous ones.

Was working in the area where we have our panels today and saw a Japanese pit viper (called "mamushi" in Japan). According to Wikipedia, "Every year, 2000–3000 people in Japan are bitten by a mamushi. Bitten victims typically require one week of treatment in a hospital." (They don't mention that Japanese hospitals will keep you a week in the hospital for something that is same day outpatient in the rest of the world).

Anyway, trying to figure out what I'm going to do about them, if anything. I'm 95% sure I'm going to just leave them alone. I realize they aren't aggressive. The one I saw today just slithered away. They’re vital to the ecosystem and serve as great pest control, getting rid of excess rodents and ticks.

On the other hand, because we have a lot of tall grass around it seems like it would be awfully easy to step on one. Yeah, I know I should keep the tall grass cut but that would become a full-time job and just too many other things to do.

We also have mukade (poisonous centipedes) and suzumebachi (the so-called "Murder Hornets") and I have no hesitation eliminating them.

Thoughts?

Do you have kids or plan to have kids?

I would kill any venomous snake I found on my property .... Luckily where I live there are VERY few venomous snakes.

Maybe people who live around them all the time get used to them and are prepared to deal with a bite ..... Seems I have inherited a severe dislike of snakes from my mother.

Seems I have inherited a severe dislike of snakes from my mother.
No kids or plans to have any.

I don't actually mind or fear snakes. Wouldn't like to step on a venomous one though.

These though I really don't like, they are also poisonous, and they get in the house. I'll take a venomous snake outside over one of these in the house any day of the week.

mukade.gif

I don't actually mind or fear snakes. Wouldn't like to step on a venomous one though.

These though I really don't like, they are also poisonous, and they get in the house. I'll take a venomous snake outside over one of these in the house any day of the week.

View attachment 226702
Some ppl Being allergic to things like bees is not good to be biten by other insects.

The brown recluse spider does a lot of damage to ppl bitten. We have that same basic crawler here. Scorpions suck too. Matter of fact fire ants are the shits….they are all over some southern States in USA. I think they have bred with other local ants and made a hybrid fire ant. The fire ants in Texas were HUGE.

Fire ants killed a dog near beach in florida. They bit it over and over thousands of them….the owners called police and animal control there. I seen all the govt cars and wandered over to see what was happening.

We had murder hornet scare here but that died down….the news media was trying to do Revelations - end times with sickness and such.

View attachment 226702

Where do you live? Remind me not to move there ... probably got big spiders too.

probably got big spiders too.
Yeah the positive thing is I overcame my fear of spiders living here because the other stuff is so much worse. lol. Kinda got used to spiders. You can adjust to these things. Phobias don't need to be permanent. Talk to me in 10 years and maybe I'll grow to like giant poisonous centipedes and hornets the size of small birds.

People say tho that a lot of bites occur when trying to terminate venomous snakes. We don't have a gun license so we'd have to use a shovel and even our shovels are short by western standards. Longest thing we have is a hoe and the margin of error is pretty slim with a hoe. I don't want a pissed off pit viper chasing me. Don't really have a good tool to go after them.

People say tho that a lot of bites occur when trying to terminate venomous snakes. We don't have a gun license so we'd have to use a shovel and even our shovels are short by western standards. Longest thing we have is a hoe and the margin of error is pretty slim with a hoe. I don't want a pissed off pit viper chasing me. Don't really have a good tool to go after them.
Make one. My grand papa had long handle hoe…he used in the garden and to walk with. He always used it to check rows before bending over to be face to face with whatever snake … we had several poison snakes here. Lot of non-poison ones too.

The long handle hoe killed lot of bad snakes but he also used it to transplant the good snakes. I almost grabbed a non-poison green snake at the farm picking green beans around 7-8 years old. Scared me because did not see it right away.

Japan had lot of laws over farm tools because ppl turned them into weapons according what read once. China was same way. They had be small regulation size way back centuries ago. Not everyone was allowed weapon…. Might be something to it.guns swords everything heavy regulated.

Are you American if you don’t mind me asking? If don’t want to answer just skip that question. We have lot of Americans that moved out of USA I started to move to Mexico. Unfortunated bunch of Americans moved there and ruined it turned placed into little USA instead of adapting and living there. The low cost of living and their way of life for Mexicans living there went away. Displaced. That is quickest way to make the natives hate us. 😞 why USA don’t like Illegals breaking in here. Don’t want them to make here like where they ran away from.

If allowed make long handle hoe wide head. Chop snakes to pieces.

I hate lawn mowing, it seems like an utter waste of time. Here tall grass is a fire hazard, so I have a large flock of geese that are more than happy to do the job for me, they keep the grass down clear the orchard, make good guard dogs, & provide a surplus of eggs in the spring, look beautiful in the pond, They are Sebastopol Geese. You need a wire net fence (100mm holes), they tend to be capable of looking after themselfs, Ducks & other poultry can work for small plots, but smaller birds may be snake bait. I run an old tractor slasher over the plot in the summer once a year to clear the thistles..

A couple of fluffy Sebastopol Geese out for a stroll. I've never heard ...

A couple of fluffy Sebastopol Geese

Thoughts?
are you sure they are mamushi? triangle shaped head? the red and black are yama kagagi (sp)???? sorry i forget, they are poisonous as well, but do not have fangs, they have grinder plates in the back of the throat and thats what spreasds the poison for that type. so unless you stick your finger down its throat you are GTG.

regardless if you have them, then order a set of snake boots off of amazon, they have snake bite boots that are anywhere from mid calf to up tot he knee and the snake can't bite through the kevlar weave. then just concentrate on keeping your hands clear.
Mukade and the suzumabachi are on my hit list. I carry the super spray around like Matt Dillion on gunsmoke!

From right to left, Fogger type, jet spray type and the third item warns off soft people....all you need to keep the bad things at bay!IMG_2313[1].JPG

are you sure they are mamushi? triangle shaped head?
Yep 100% sure. Triangle shaped head. Exact match on the body pattern.
You don't see them around your property?

Regarding the suzumebachi, have you tried spraying loners that are flying around in mid-flight? They don't come back at you?

get ready to stomp the living daylights out of it.
We had a big one that I couldn't even stomp, it was literally just ignoring me. It's amazing how tough they are. I gave up on stomping them. They sell this stuff called "parts cleaner" in Japan, that's what we use on them now. Probably relatively non-toxic.

Another one I put a thick heavy 5 liter glass cooking storage container over it to keep it in place, and it actually managed to somehow lift the container and start to escape under it. I barely managed to contain it. I am still in shock over that one.

Yep 100% sure. Triangle shaped head. Exact match on the body pattern.
You don't see them around your property?

Regarding the suzumebachi, have you tried spraying loners that are flying around in mid-flight? They don't come back at you?
this area... no mamushi, but we have the other one, the red and black one yamakagashi I think is the spelling. its poisonous but like i said it has no fangs, it has to "chew" on something to let the poison get into the wound.

as far as the suzumebachi... I am a Marine you know... one shot one kill! (actually that's what the fogger is for) use the stream one to hit nests that are out of reach, and the fogger for the ones flying around on their own. if they get just a little on them from either or, they drop like a rock.. and then I do the fred flinstone dance on their ass to make sure

the red and black one yamakagagi
Oh right, tiger keelback, yamakagashi, they have pink/orange coloration at times right? Yep, I've seen those around too. Glad to hear they can't get you with their fangs like a pit viper. So they will definitely not be on my hit list.

You know what works great with the suzumebachi? Is setting traps to catch the queens. Have you tried that?

You know what works great with the suzumebachi? Is setting traps to catch the queens. Have you tried that?
nope honestly not even sure if the ones we have are suzumabachi or kumabachi. very similar and could be just a local dialect difference, but whatever they are, they make nests under the eaves of the cabin out of the rain, and I dutifully spray the piss out of them with poison each year.

kumabachi.
Kumabachi have a black face, suzumebachi have a yellow face. Easy to tell them apart.

they make nests under the eaves of the cabin out of the rain, and I dutifully spray the piss out of them with poison each year.
Well you know what the say about ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We're doing good with the suzumebachi traps. Otherwise we get a yoga ball sized nest each year.

diy solar

diy solar
Back