diy solar

diy solar

LV 2424 MSD won’t charge above 26.9

Goats

I just got this setup yesterday. I think I followed wills settings perfectly but for some reason my battery says it’s charging but it will not seem to go above 26.9v.

my battery is the a123 systems 24v model.
I have 2 GCL-P6/72 330w panels in series.

Heres a video of all mu settings and current inputs

Last edited:
Link the manual and list your settings. Don't make us sit through a video.
Manual

Settings:
1. 56U
2. 80a
3. APL
4. 5d5
5. USE
6. LFd
7. EFd
8. 120v
9. 60hz
11. 40a
12. 23.0
13. 24.5
16. 050
18. bOG
19. FEP
20. LON
22. AOF
23. byE
25. FEN
26. 28.8v
27. 27.0v
29. 23.0v
31. 5bd

Thanks.

#26 bulk is set to 28.8V.
#27 float is 27.0V

Your panels appear to have suitable voltage to hit the MPPT range.

The solid green light indicates the system thinks the battery is charged and floating at 26.9/27.0V, so it's not going to go higher.

Does power cycling the unit during full sun force it to charge?

Have you tried loading the system to pull the battery voltage down until bulk charging is re-activated?

I assume your first few things you said means I have the settings right. I haven’t tried anything. You guys were my first stop before I started fiddling. I’m going to try to put a load on it tonight and see what happens tomorrow. If I didn’t see a change from the load, I’ll try the full sun power cycle. Thanks, I’ll report back tomorrow.

Yes, your setting appear correct.

I suspect that once you put it in use with loads and solar charging, you will see normal behavior - charge to 28.8v followed by a fall and hold of about 27.0V float.

Flashing green CHG light indicates charging. Solid green indicates charged.

After doing some research this morning I found a lot of people with the same issue. It appears to be by design. Some people in that link are advising setting bulk and float to the same voltage. Should I do that and what voltage would you advise? Thanks for your help.

After doing some research this morning I found a lot of people with the same issue. It appears to be by design. Some people in that link are advising setting bulk and float to the same voltage. Should I do that and what voltage would you advise? Thanks for your help.

No.
Ideally you want to charge your battery at 3.65 volts per cell and then the battery is charged then automatically switch to "float".
For lifepo4 batteries "float" is just the charger helping the batteries with the load.
Alternatively you can disable float and let the batteries from charged to the point where the re-enter bulk mode.
Look for a parameter that is called or is functionally re-bulk.

No.
Ideally you want to charge your battery at 3.65 volts per cell and then the battery is charged then automatically switch to "float".
For lifepo4 batteries "float" is just the charger helping the batteries with the load.
Alternatively you can disable float and let the batteries from charged to the point where the re-enter bulk mode.
Look for a parameter that is called or is functionally re-bulk.
There is no rebulk setting. There’s just float and bulk. In this situation what would be the best option as charge stops at float voltage.

There is no rebulk setting. There’s just float and bulk. In this situation what would be the best option as charge stops at float voltage.
Assuming you have lifepo4 batteries set the float to 27.0 volts is fine.
I wonder if you misunderstand how charging works.
How low will the device allow you to set the float?

Assuming you have lifepo4 batteries set the float to 27.0 volts is fine.
I wonder if you misunderstand how charging works.
How low will the device allow you to set the float?
Float range is from 24.0V to 29.2V. What am I misunderstanding? Shouldn’t it charge fully to my bulk setting of 28.8 then float down to 27?

Float range is from 24.0V to 29.2V. What am I misunderstanding? Shouldn’t it charge fully to my bulk setting of 28.8 then float down to 27?

lifepo4 batteries are best charged cc=constant current/cv=constant voltage.
Constant current ~= bulk.
Constant voltage ~= absorb.
float ~= power assist.
During the constant current phase your charger controls the amount of current flow by adjusting its voltage in relation to the battery to keep the flow at the configured rate.
During the constant voltage phase the battery determines the current flow as its voltage converges with the charge voltage.
As they converge the current flow approaches zero.
When the charger has determined that the battery is fully charged it transitions to float mode.
There are different ways for you charger to determine when the battery is charged and when to re-enter bulk mode.
I suspect your charger is staying in float mode.
What does the product manual have to say about this?

lifepo4 batteries are best charged cc=constant current/cv=constant voltage.
Constant current ~= bulk.
Constant voltage ~= absorb.
float ~= power assist.
During the constant current phase your charger controls the amount of current flow by adjusting its voltage in relation to the battery to keep the flow at the configured rate.
During the constant voltage phase the battery determines the current flow as its voltage converges with the charge voltage.
As they converge the current flow approaches zero.
When the charger has determined that the battery is fully charged it transitions to float mode.
There are different ways for you charger to determine when the battery is charged and when to re-enter bulk mode.
I suspect your charger is staying in float mode.
What does the product manual have to say about this?
I think you may be misunderstanding my post. It hard stops at float while charging, not discharging. Both my outback and victron, will charge up to bulk then let it settle to the float. As linked in the other thread, this seems to be very unique to this brand. If my float is 27v that is all the battery will ever get.

Experiment with program 05: AGM or FLD and see if the behavior changes.

Why not the default on 31?

I respectfully disagree. Essentially, if I have need of 10A of charging, and I need another 15A due to loads, I want to be able to pull 25A from the solar if it's available.

With Will's recommended setting, you'll never get more solar than the battery can accept as charge, i.e., 10A of charging even if your loads are higher. It doesn't matter in your situation with your limited solar input, but it would cripple my 3kW system. My batteries can only take 39A of charging, but my array can produce almost 60A. If I'm using loads, I want to be able to pull the full 60A.

I honestly wish I could configure my Victron that way. As it stands, all I can do is control my SCC output current.

I think you may be misunderstanding my post. It hard stops at float while charging, not discharging.

Is more like I'm skeptical about what I am hearing.

For a test...
Disconnect all loads.
Set the float as low as it will go and let the battery discharge to the level.
Then disconnect your panels and your shore power.
Then turn the unit off
The reconnect the shore power and turn the unit back on and see if the battery can draw full charge amps.
If it can and its in bulk mode the battery voltage should rise above the float voltage.
You do have a shunt based battery monitor between the batteries and everthing else, confirm?
That way we can see that whay current the shunt thinks is going to the batteries and verify the mpp display.
And we can establish whether the mpp will go into bulk mode.

I honestly wish I could configure my Victron that way. As it stands, all I can do is control my SCC output current.

Yes. Quoting myself.

I CAN! It's a feature I haven't fully explored, but it's called DVCC, and it requires a GX device.

I had the same issue and Ian from MPPSOLAR recommended that I adjust the float charge up higher. I'm running battleborns in a 24v setup with my hybrid 2424. I started moving it up from 27.2 to 28 and then after a few hours moved it up to 28.8 and it's been holding fine. Battleborn rep said the same recommendation. 20200924_205812.jpgScreenshot_20200925-173211.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200925-173211.jpg
    Screenshot_20200925-173211.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
Back