diy solar

diy solar

LV2424 Hybrid charging Bigbattery HWK (24v 170AH)

Coil

Like the title says I have a Hybrid LV2424 charging a 24v bigbattery. I know the charge settings for the LV2424 have been posted and discussed at length here. Unfortunately, the settings are somewhat different on the hybrid model which creates some ambiguity for me in light of what I'm seeing. As best as I can transpose the settings I have replicated what is suggested here for a 24v system. In particular, the bulk and float charging values.

I'm running a chest freezer off of the inverter 24/7 just so it's doing something and I can get a feel for its operation. The freezer uses 800-850 Wh/day, draws 80-90 watts, and cycles about every 90-100 minutes. Pretty consistent power consumption throughout the day. All of that is fine. Here is a graph of the capacity reported by the LV2424 via the SolarPower software (speaking of, if anyone knows how to automate the export of that data that would be great).

Solar Metrics.png

According to this, the battery is only charging up to about 60% and getting to a low of about 40% overnight. In relative terms, using 20% of the battery to run the freezer plus the idle consumption of the inverter is about what I would expect for a 4.35kwh battery. What I'm not clear on is whether or not the capacity% being reported by the LV2424 is accurate or if I am in fact only charging it to 60%. According to the bigbattery specs here I should set both the floating charge and the bulk charge to 29.2v. However, everything I can find on this and in Will's recommended settings indicate I should still be using a floating charge of 27v.

So that's the question really. Is the LV2424 incorrect about capacity and this is actually a full-ish charge? Is bigbattery actually correct about the float setting being meaningless and I should just bulk charge it at 29.2v?

The main reason I'm asking here is simply that I don't own the equipment to do an accurate capacity test (even though I could ballpark it by just running it down the cutoff voltage) I would still be hesitant to make a change that could damage the battery based on rudimentary tests.

Thanks.

I will say that the LV2424 hybrid is very quiet and I am very happy with the unit although it seems to lack the standby function of the PIP model where it will turn itself off when sufficient loads are not present.

Edit: I almost forgot! In this video Will shows the same battery charged to 29.4v at 4:25 and shows the capacity test curve at 4:54. Which (assuming my battery was exactly similar) would suggest that ~27v is a full charge. I thought that perhaps charging it such a high voltage was just something he did for capacity testing and would not be good for the battery long term.

Last edited:
Back