diy solar

diy solar

Max charging amps for bigger banks

Off Grid Zion

This is a little outside my knowledge base, I have 6 lion energy 105ah lithium batteries, max charging is 100 amps per battery. They are in parallel so still all 12v. Is 100 amps still the ideal charge rate for this size bank or could one add more amps from a second charge controller to maximize the system to charge faster?

With 6 batteries you could theoretically charge at 600A as long as the current was divided perfectly equally. That would require some serious wiring and chargers. In practice most of us limit charging to 0.5C max and on a daily basis keep it more in the range of 0.25C.
With the 6 batteries 150A to 200A would be a good charge current to speed things up a bit.
The recommendation would be to connect each battery individually to a suitable bus bar like this with equal length cables.

Then connect the inverter and charger to the bus bar. This helps distribute current evenly. There are some good YT videos, David Poz comes to mind.

With 6 batteries you could theoretically charge at 600A as long as the current was divided perfectly equally. That would require some serious wiring and chargers. In practice most of us limit charging to 0.5C max and on a daily basis keep it more in the range of 0.25C.
With the 6 batteries 150A to 200A would be a good charge current to speed things up a bit.
The recommendation would be to connect each battery individually to a suitable bus bar like this with equal length cables.

Then connect the inverter and charger to the bus bar. This helps distribute current evenly. There are some good YT videos, David Poz comes to mind.
Good stuff, thanks for the info to David's page, I'd never heard of him before. I have everything ran through buss bars on my sailboat so it makes sense now (duh). What is the reference you use 0.5C and 0.25C can you expand on that a little as I'm not familiar with it? Thanks again.

Good stuff, thanks for the info to David's page, I'd never heard of him before. I have everything ran through buss bars on my sailboat so it makes sense now (duh). What is the reference you use 0.5C and 0.25C can you expand on that a little as I'm not familiar with it? Thanks again.

Back