diy solar

diy solar

Mix of Micro-Inverters

agarg

What are the pitfalls. Has anyone tried mix of different micro inverters on different strings but on one combiner panel.

Please let me know.

You would need multiple kinds of monitoring boxes which adds up in cost and adds to complexity (need something like Home Assistant to merge, or use multiple apps). It’s possible they will interfere (PLC or radio).

I don’t think the physical differences like trunk cable would make a huge practical difference for DIY. It is more efficient to use something familiar I guess.

I think this is fairly common for people that have expanded their system after microinverters have ticked up a generation.

I considered going new generation of micros within Hoymiles line. They had switched to 900mhz radio so needed new monitoring box. Trunk cable still identical so strings could be extended if I wanted. Ended up not doing it because of noticeable gap in $/watt. If I was using bigger panels at the sweet spot of the new microinverters it would have been closer. Or if I was using M10 solar panels the new generation was more properly designed for those, input current wise.

Are we talking different brands, different generations within the same brand(iq7 vs iq8), different models of the same brand and generation(Iq8+ vs Iq8a)?

Back