diy solar

diy solar

Mixing lithium batteries 150ah an 100ah

CarlaMorante

Hello all,
I have a small solar system in my camper, 300w of solar with one 150ah cheap (Pionergy brand) battery.
I've been using the system with no problems for 3 months. Since I recently got Starlink, I'll need more ah to be able to use the modem without worrying too much and I was thinking to expand my battery bank.
Problem is Pionergy 150 ah has been out of stock forever, I was thinking to buy a 100ah of the same brand since it has the same BMS (100ah) than the one I currently have, same voltage etc, only difference is Wh.
Would this be ok? Or should I find a battery with 150 ah and same 100ah BMS from another brand? Any recommendations?
THANK YOU
Carla

In parallel it really won't matter much, especially at low rate of discharge. Just make sure they are both at a similar voltage when you first hook them up to avoid overwhelming one or the other with massive inrush.

No problem with this. As stated above. It's best to match voltage when connecting together.

THANK YOU,
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I make sure the Voltage is the same? I've had my "old" battery off for 3 months since I was not in the camper, and I'll be buying the new one.

Either discharge the higher voltage one. Or charge the lower voltage one. Get them within a half volt of each other and connect them together.

THANK YOU,
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I make sure the Voltage is the same? I've had my "old" battery off for 3 months since I was not in the camper, and I'll be buying the new one.
Easy way is to fully charge the one that is in camper now, then swap the new one in, and fully charge it.
Then put the old one back in, and you should be good to go.

Or check the voltage of the new battery. And charge the old battery to match it. And then connect them together.

THANK YOU,

Get a multimeter if you don't already have one.

Back