diy solar

diy solar

mixing solar panels???

JPetronek

I am adding to my solar on my trailer.
I have ordered a 2nd 160 w panel to go with the one I currently have, I also ordered 2-180 w panels to wire to a new mppt controller.
can I bypass my current pwm controller and run all 4 panels to my new controller to gain efficiency? I would like to do 2 sets of series to the new controller. Does the un matched wattage matter?

yes, on both counts. If you post the spec sheet (or links to) for both types of panels and the new charge controller make / model I, or someone else, can give you some more guidance.

yes, on both counts. If you post the spec sheet (or links to) for both types of panels and the new charge controller make / model I, or someone else, can give you some more guidance.
I ordered the rich solar 160 and 2 180 panels. Charge controller is the epever 40 amp mppt.
Also have the Renogy 500 amp monitor coming to install with everything.

OK, those panels are pretty close in terms of voltage so you could run them as parallel sets, (2 x 160) and (2 x 180 ). One or both sets will be running slightly off the optimum voltage (Vmp) but since they are so close it's not going to make much of a difference. Your controller can handle 40 amps so there is no problem there.

Is your battery 12v? If so, no problems with the panel voltage there.

OK, those panels are pretty close in terms of voltage so you could run them as parallel sets, (2 x 160) and (2 x 180 ). One or both sets will be running slightly off the optimum voltage (Vmp) but since they are so close it's not going to make much of a difference. Your controller can handle 40 amps so there is no problem there.

Is your battery 12v? If so, no problems with the panel voltage there.
Yes, battery bank is 12v. Thanks for the help.

diy solar

diy solar
Back