diy solar

diy solar

Mobile 48V system using EG4 6000xp

Moot

I'd like to build a portable (off-grid) system on a hand cart with server rack battery as in:
ttps://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html
Would it be possible to build the same system using an EG4 6000XP in place of the EG4 3K?
How to wire the line cord for input, and the surge protector for 120v load?
Are there any grounding/bonding issues to take into account (anything different from the EG4 3K)?
Thank you!

A mobile system would be great with a 6000xp instead. It's actually a much better inverter and it already has circuit protection built into the Inverter.
How to wire the line cord for input, and the surge protector for 120v load?
Do you mean you only want 120V and not 240V? If so, leave one of the load legs disconnected, you will only have three wires, ground, neutral, and load. If the system is not hooked to anything where a neutral/ground bond occurs, make the bond either in the inverter between neutral and ground or at the point of connection, like in a small junction box. You should also have an actual earth ground that it connects to somewhere. An earth ground could be a clamp to a copper water line, or actual 6' copper stake in the ground.

Yes, I only need 120 - I just want to connect a multiple-outlet "surge protector" to run tools/appliances. I'm not sure where the black/white/green wires from the surge protector should be connected inside the 6000xp

Since the 6kxp is a split-phase inverter. You should use both legs for 2 x 120v circuits.
Also be advised that if you want to charge the batteries from the AC imput, it will require a 240v Input.
As far as the N/G bond. This can be activated in the settings.
For a portable power station (cart) , an earth connection is not necessary. But if you plan to leave it in a stationary location, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yes, I only need 120 - I just want to connect a multiple-outlet "surge protector" to run tools/appliances. I'm not sure where the black/white/green wires from the surge protector should be connected inside the 6000xp
What is your purpose for adding a surge protection device?
Where are you expecting a surge to come from?

No offense, but if you’re not sure what the color of the wires mean, you probably should get an electrician to help you. This stuff can be very dangerous and a fundamental understanding of electrician principals is really needed.

Anyway, here is your answer in general, but again the color alone doesn’t mean you couldn’t have the wires in the wrong place.

Black is typically “line”
White is typically “neutral”
Green is typically “ground”
Red is typically the “load”

In your situation you need to hookup the three line, ground and neutral, but you need somewhere for the ground to go besides back to the inverter, you need an actual earth ground.

No offense, but if you’re not sure what the color of the wires mean, you probably should get an electrician to help you. This stuff can be very dangerous and a fundamental understanding of electrician principals is really needed.

Anyway, here is your answer in general, but again the color alone doesn’t mean you couldn’t have the wires in the wrong place.

Black is typically “line”
White is typically “neutral”
Green is typically “ground”
Red is typically the “load”

In your situation you need to hookup the three line, ground and neutral, but you need somewhere for the ground to go besides back to the inverter, you need an actual earth ground.
Agreed - I am consulting an electrician tomorrow. I set out to buy the 3K (per the instructions and video), but then the upgrade to the 6000xp made sense. When I got home, the connections were different and thats why I reached out to see if this inverter was appropriate for a portable generator. I appreciate your input - thank you!

What is your purpose for adding a surge protection device?
Where are you expecting a surge to come from?
I should have said "power strip" or "outlet strip". Simply a way to get multiple 120v loads on the output. Just as in the referenced video.
Thanks for your help!

The 6000xp will great once you have all the wiring correct. An electrician should be able to help you make the connections within a few minutes and then you’re good to go.

However, it’s like $300 -$600 or less for a descent little gas generator, and a heck of a lot more portable and less complex, do you really need a battery/inverter on a cart? I mean you still have to charge it and in many cases it won’t last as long (until it needs recharged) as a gallon or two of gas in a portable generator??

I should have said "power strip" or "outlet strip". Simply a way to get multiple 120v loads on the output. Just as in the referenced video.
Thanks for your help!
Then I would recommend 2 x power strips.
No point in wasting half of the inverters available power.

However, it’s like $300 or less for a descent little gas generator, and a heck of a lot more portable and less complex, do you really need a battery/inverter on a cart? I mean you still have to charge it and in many cases it won’t last as long (until it needs recharged) as a gallon or two of gas in a portable generator??
Its just the start of a hobby - eventually, i anticipate the hardware will be properly installed and taking over a few household circuits. You're point about portable gas/propane generators is well-taken.

diy solar

diy solar
Back