diy solar

diy solar

Mounting / tie down / securing 100ah battery fiberglass trailer, towing can get bouncy

OneStudPuppy

Well as we all know different fiberglass trailers over the years changed. Going true vintage with a 72 Trail mite. I may add a layer to reenforce the shelf. But looking to brainstorm ideas about securing this battery to the top shelf.
As of now old system has been stripped out and upgrading, (still need to get a monitor / shunt) but where batter is seen on top shelf 100agm ampere time.
Old picture will have the 35ah AGM. I probably will put new controller ABOUT where old one was.
2nd picture is shelf above and the part asking for some brain storming of mount / lock down and slide prevention.
Limited space but staying in this cabinet I also have all connections already in place for house lights and the one usb/power port.

P.s. Thanks Will for the videos and the forum. Took a while to find the forum but I’m old school and appreciate a good forum.
Thanks to your tear down videos I went with the Ampere time 100ah.

Attachments

• EC857FFE-E4B5-459C-8455-24EB2A0C3D40.jpeg
    EC857FFE-E4B5-459C-8455-24EB2A0C3D40.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 14
  • CFFEE27E-990E-4781-B135-FC7E5B792EB8.jpeg
    CFFEE27E-990E-4781-B135-FC7E5B792EB8.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I’m not sure what material your shelf is made from but if it is wood you should be able to mount a small ledger around the battery and use a strap to secure it down and all thread holding a board or steel bar downward on the top of the shelf. The strength of the shelf will be your limiting factor.

I’m not sure what material your shelf is made from but if it is wood you should be able to mount a small ledger around the battery and use a strap to secure it down and all thread holding a board or steel bar downward on the top of the shelf. The strength of the shelf will be your limiting factor.
It’s a older plywood. Not thickest but other thought I’ve had is overlaying another bit of plywood to beef up the strength. Battery it self will probably be about only thing on it. 4 corner supports and seems quite solid. Would I stand on it ? Nope lol but pushed down and tested for any movement and solid. And yea as of now sounds about what I’ve been thinking on the ledge. Strap was another thought. Do have some material. Maybe a thicker strap run over the top and screwed into the wood with a good size washer to prevent tear through. Not a heavily used trailer but yea when empty and I keep it light California pot holes can get a few bounces towing. Curtain rods usually bounce off the windows lol

All you need is to keep the battery from sliding an floating upwards with bumps

Could use a treaded rod with some pvc and nuts to make a clamp between the shelf and the pvc ontop of the battery, lil peice of quater round on the edges of the battery on the shelf ot keep it from slidingas overkill. Might work, idk

Battery hold down Still to be determined method but roughed in the whole system today.
One fuse between controller to battery to be added and then I’ll hook up main solar panel
4B5381CF-7C54-4C9E-9FC8-D8477BCC4071.jpeg

It looks like you have a sink in that space it might be a good idea to design the space so that if you get a leak the water diverts to the outside of the cabinet so it doesn’t get the electrical wet right away.

It looks like you have a sink in that space it might be a good idea to design the space so that if you get a leak the water diverts to the outside of the cabinet so it doesn’t get the electrical wet right away.
Good point. As of now it’s probably not going to be used. Primarily still has original tank in the trailer which is older than myself. But great eye on seeing that. Appreciate the thought and reply

Back