diy solar

diy solar

MPP knockoffs?

Maxbet

Hi all, came here from the Will's videos.

I've been looking at the MPP solar aio's for a while now, however they never seem to have stock in Europe wich makes me hesitant to order. DHL shipping from China all but assures customs chargers upon delivery and jacks the price up significantly.

Now since some time aliexpress doesn't show MPP solar products anymore, even when searching for the name exactly. Ali only seems to want to show EASun and Powland, wich seem to have a very similar offering (perhaps the same/knockoffs?) while they do curently offer stock in various European countries.

Anyone here have any insight into these brands? I'm hesitant because generally knockoffs are bad news but for all I know the housings used could be some generic thing every Chinese/Taiwanese company and their dog are using.

@Maxbet

Hi, I bought one EASUN IGrid SV II 5KW (MPP Solar HYBRID V2-5048) a few weeks ago from EASun. Don´t worry about knockoffs the manufacturer is not MPP Solar or EASun the booth just seller. Voltronic is an ODM manufacturer and booth buying from them. You can have a look at https://voltronicpower.com/

But only from these two sellers I know that they buy from Voltronic. There more listings on Aliexpress and some are really knockoffs. If Powland is real or fake I don´t know.

But Ask the EASun before you make a buy if the have the Inverter really in Stock. I bought my inverter and it shows 3Day delivery. But have to wait nearly two weeks to get it from CZ.

@offgriddave

Sorry,, I don´t know this seller or his brand. So I can not tell you 100% fake or not. Especially only from a picture, it is hard to identify.

I can tell you that I have a MUST 1kw all in one unit and I'm not pleased with it. It seems to shut itself off when it wants to and it really doesn't like lithium batteries.

As others have said voltronic owns the patents and ODM's the units to other manufacturers' factories for branding and distribution. MPP Solar has a large factory and is also in Taipei. Shenzhen is another large factory on mainland China both Powland and EASUN are made in the Shenzen factory. All are the same product, differing primarily in support. There are additional other smaller factories. One thing to consider is that the Shenzhen factory opened a AliExpress storefront of it's own recently and has just started selling the same Voltronic inverter technology under the brand BuyIt. He selling them cheaper than the other 2 but currently has fewer models.All are much cheaper with minor differences in features to MPP Solar. I have talked to them and expect it will be the same quality as it from the same factory, and perhaps a little better support. I will follow up in a week or 2 if anybody cares.

As others have said voltronic owns the patents and ODM's the units to other manufacturers' factories for branding and distribution. MPP Solar has a large factory and is also in Taipei. Shenzhen is another large factory on mainland China both Powland and EASUN are made in the Shenzen factory. All are the same product, differing primarily in support. There are additional other smaller factories.

I'm looking to find the actual manufacturer, because I want to hack the 2400W version to work with IoT (Internet of Things). I found that some Australian guy posted about 8 years back that he just tracked down the manufacturer and asked. If you can help me find them, that would be great.

The corporation that holds the hardware patents, manufactures, and provides the ODA inverter hardware that mpp solar and the Shenzen plant then rebrand and customize features is VoltronicPower in Taipai, Taiwan, China.

The corporation that holds the hardware patents, manufactures, and provides the ODA inverter hardware that mpp solar and the Shenzen plant then rebrand and customize features is VoltronicPower in Taipai, Taiwan, China.

Beyond being the manufacturer ODM/OEM, is their a relationship between Voltronic and MPP? Or they are totally separate companies?

Beyond being the manufacturer ODM/OEM, is their a relationship between Voltronic and MPP? Or they are totally separate companies?
They are separate companies but as for relationship as they are both in the same city/island and don't really compete against each other, while both compete against the European and Australian manufacturers, I could probably hazard a guess.?

Yet, for some reason, the Australian designed and made inverters are so highly prized that when they occasionally come up for 2nd hand sale, despite the high price they still command > $1500, and despite being previously installed in the back of mobile service utes to run tools in the middle of nowhere and thereby having had a tough life, they are immediately snapped up and put back into service, some 10 years after being built.

I think MPP have a ways to go before they go to that position, just a guess though. ;)

Yet, for some reason, the Australian designed and made inverters are so highly prized that when they occasionally come up for 2nd hand sale, despite the high price they still command > $1500, and despite being previously installed in the back of mobile service utes to run tools in the middle of nowhere and thereby having had a tough life, they are immediately snapped up and put back into service, some 10 years after being built.

I think MPP have a ways to go before they go to that position, just a guess though. ;)
That money might buy 3 voltronics, I haven't heard of any inverters failing that0 go to transformers, although charging boards go out, sometimes, but are easily replaced and I've seen that happen on Aims too, and not easy to replace. I don't have any proof but I really think these high frequency inverters when used with a big torroid can perform well, and use 2 transformers, wired out of phase and you can get split-phase 120v just like normal, at a mighty fine price point. My hope is that as many people as possible get out from under the fist of the power providers, their greed is insatiable. The fact that we're still burning coal is insultingly backwards, totally shoeless hillbilly-like. We should have had liquid salt fission reactors since the late 60s but no, so Fukushima meLtd down. And we're right around the corner from fusion reactors and that should be great for us, limitless energy from an element that just gets in the way now, it will cost hardly anything, nearly free. But I still get this sneaking suspicion,we're going to have pay even more?

An inverter that doesn't work when you are in the middle of no where isn't worth the price of the paper the invoice is printed on. As valid a strategy as it is, one I've suggested in other posts, not everyone has the option of keeping a spare or two in the cupboard. It's why proven rugged reliable tradie proof equipment still commands a good price in the 2nd hand market and why they are snapped up as soon as they become available.

I'm looking to find the actual manufacturer, because I want to hack the 2400W version to work with IoT (Internet of Things). I found that some Australian guy posted about 8 years back that he just tracked down the manufacturer and asked. If you can help me find them, that would be great.
The Home Assistant folks (DIY home automation stuff) have a project to interact with the various Voltronics based AiO inverters. They use a RPI connected and then use a MQTT bridge, not sure if that would work for your setup, but you could at least probably trivially figure out the protocol based on their source code. Here's the link to the github project.

@Maxbet

Hi, I bought one EASUN IGrid SV II 5KW (MPP Solar HYBRID V2-5048) a few weeks ago from EASun. Don´t worry about knockoffs the manufacturer is not MPP Solar or EASun the booth just seller. Voltronic is an ODM manufacturer and booth buying from them. You can have a look at https://voltronicpower.com/

But only from these two sellers I know that they buy from Voltronic. There more listings on Aliexpress and some are really knockoffs. If Powland is real or fake I don´t know.

But Ask the EASun before you make a buy if the have the Inverter really in Stock. I bought my inverter and it shows 3Day delivery. But have to wait nearly two weeks to get it from CZ.
I consider to buy same, are you happy with it? Any issues?

Punk

Back