diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar 812LV-MS 800W 12V Grid Solar Inverter

Leep

Will this unit be safe to use in a camper with a 12v fuse block to power 12v devices?

That’s what I’m using it for. 12v Fuse block connected to the battery. I have a 50 amp automatic breaker in between the battery and fuse box.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m using it for. 12v Fuse block connected to the battery. I have a 50 amp automatic breaker in between the battery and fuse box.
Thanks for the hot tip! I’ve been doing some research on this and think it will be a good fit for my pop up pickup camper with a 400 watt solar array and 1 Battle Born (for now) lithium battery. What is your current setup?

I building a camper from a 6x10 cargo trailer 3-100w panels and a 12v 100ah Ruixu. Runs everything well. It’s still under construction but coming out nicely. Small and light. I easily pull it with a Chevy Astro van.
Both equipped with solar and LiFePo batteries. 55ah for the van.
That’s the guest house. LOL

Last edited:
I building a camper from a 6x10 cargo trailer 3-100w panels and a 12v 100ah Ruixu. Runs everything well. It’s still under construction but coming out nicely. Small and light. I easily pull it with a Chevy Astro van.
Both equipped with solar and LiFePo batteries. 55ah for the van.
That’s the guest house. LOL
Sounds like it’s going to be a pretty cool setup! Do you think the 800 watt AC inverter is underpowered for your needs?

Sounds like it’s going to be a pretty cool setup! Do you think the 800 watt AC inverter is underpowered for your needs?

Just right for use in the van. Lights, fan, music, small tv, it also works to power a 120v harbor freight impact for changing tires if needed.

I building a camper from a 6x10 cargo trailer

Curious what the dry weight of that trailer is. I thought about doing that instead of buying my little toy. Two things stopped me. Having to design it, and being too lazy to build it. LOL!!!

My little 4x8 is 675 pounds dry weight and tows behind my Renegade like a dream.

AND.... since it is so small, it can't be my guest house, so I can't have people want to stay in it!!

Do you think the 800 watt AC inverter is underpowered for your needs?

You can run almost anything on a 12v supply these days. I attached a cord to my AC out on the MPP but I really don't see where I will use it much, if at all. My "TV" is a laptop and everything else is 12V as well. I bought a 6 outlet fuse block and have a spare right now. Plus I have a Goal Zero 400 lithium as a backup.

Curious what the dry weight of that trailer is. I thought about doing that instead of buying my little toy. Two things stopped me. Having to design it, and being too lazy to build it. LOL!!!

My little 4x8 is 675 pounds dry weight and tows behind my Renegade like a dream.

AND.... since it is so small, it can't be my guest house, so I can't have people want to stay in it!!

@eddie1261 The empty weight is 1200lbs. It has the electric brakes option so maybe 100lbs less with no brakes. After completing the build it may come in at 1700-1800lbs. It pulls really well with the Astro van and at the moment I don’t use the brakes at the moment. I get the van wired for that would make a difference but it stops well with just the van. Vans rated to pull 4500lbs. It’s nice because I can stand up inside.
I was referring to the van as the guest house when out camping. The trailer is my casa.

@MrNatural22 Here in Ohio anything under 4000 pounds is considered a utility trailer and the plates are much less than a commercial trailer. At my very worst case scenario I won't pass 1000. I almost went with the one I could stand up in but that would not have towed as well. My trailer is the exact height of my car. All I plan to do in this thing is sleep. Many people that bought the bigger model actually camp and cook and all that. However, the pictures they post are mainly of them sitting in a lawn chair staring straight ahead, and for me, I would rather have root canal done with a rusty can opener than sit there and say "Ooooooohhhh. Treeeeees!!" Hanging out around campfires with old people..... I am "old" on the calendar but you'll never know a 68 year old guy as free spirited as me.

In AZ when you plate a utility trailer you get issued a permanent plate. If it was a factory RV or camp trailer it's due yearly.
I hear you The wind does catch a taller trailer. A shorter trailer would give you better MPG too. The only kitchen part I built was a simple 15gal water supply and 12v demand pump sink to wash up and such. I have a 65 gallon water tank in the van if I'm out for long stretches. I can leave it at home for two or three night trips. most bigger gear can be kept in the van (chairs, Fire wood, tools and other bulky gear) l almost installed a three burner propane stove I acquired from a tent trailer
But took up too much space and no room to mount the tank. so I opted to use a colman propane stove/griddle to use outside or inside if weather is bad. Then I can stick it under the bed when not using. Using a 120v dorm fridge that uses very little power from battery. I'm then out and about unless sleeping or sipping Capt morgan at night by at fire. I have a TV/DVD player but I don't go out to watch TV. Maybe catch a movie while relaxing on the bed at night sometimes.

Exactly. If my life revolves around TV I'll stay home. That being said, wherever I am on Friday and Saturday I will watch Live PD from 9 to midnight. And I do like to watch hockey on Wednesday and Thursday. But hockey I can miss if I have to. My plan is to see cities, cruising during the day, stopping for pics and videos where I find something interesting, then getting some to go food from one of the local restaurants and heading toward where home is that night. My trailer is a hotel room on wheels. I don't anticipate taking trips that last longer than 6 days at most. Most will likely be 4 or 5, with the math being 1 day to get to, 4 days to see, one day to get back. The exception will be one trip in February where I will probably be gone for 3 weeks to escape as much of the Ohio February weather as I can. This February I will go south to central NC, then a 1 day stop in eastern NC, south to GA, then a family visit in FL. After that I will head west on I-10 and go as far as east Texas, then north into OK, then home via Arkansas, TN, western VA and then home through Kentucky, maybe stopping in Louisville. Visiting family, a friend who grew up on the same street as me that I haven't seen in 40 years, one of my best friends who used to live here but now lives in OK, and along the way see sites and eat food I can get here. Should cover about 3300 miles in 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it too!

Exactly. If my life revolves around TV I'll stay home. That being said, wherever I am on Friday and Saturday I will watch Live PD from 9 to midnight. And I do like to watch hockey on Wednesday and Thursday. But hockey I can miss if I have to. My plan is to see cities, cruising during the day, stopping for pics and videos where I find something interesting, then getting some to go food from one of the local restaurants and heading toward where home is that night. My trailer is a hotel room on wheels. I don't anticipate taking trips that last longer than 6 days at most. Most will likely be 4 or 5, with the math being 1 day to get to, 4 days to see, one day to get back. The exception will be one trip in February where I will probably be gone for 3 weeks to escape as much of the Ohio February weather as I can. This February I will go south to central NC, then a 1 day stop in eastern NC, south to GA, then a family visit in FL. After that I will head west on I-10 and go as far as east Texas, then north into OK, then home via Arkansas, TN, western VA and then home through Kentucky, maybe stopping in Louisville. Visiting family, a friend who grew up on the same street as me that I haven't seen in 40 years, one of my best friends who used to live here but now lives in OK, and along the way see sites and eat food I can get here. Should cover about 3300 miles in 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it too!
The town I live in (Missoula) is on Live PD this season!

Noting like a good road trip. Been on the road most of my life driving long haul, buses and for for other people. But now I can do it when I want and where I want. ?

The get some, uh, "unique" calls.... loose cattle and such. Enjoying watching them work.
I knew the guy and his mom who were shooting at each other in episode 2 of season 4 lol.
Anyways, I appreciate the solar advice and I will post updates once I find some pickup camper jacks that allow me to safely get the camper in my garage this winter.

I knew the guy and his mom who were shooting at each other in episode 2 of season 4 lol.
Anyways, I appreciate the solar advice and I will post updates once I find some pickup camper jacks that allow me to safely get the camper in my garage this winter.

You had bear calls this week on the show. Scary stuff.

How many watts do ya think that bears going to draw from a MPP pip812 all in one to drain down your LiFePo battery to the point your TV shuts down? ?5E1A8E66-588C-4988-84FF-C3D0173676CD.gif

You should post a photo of your system. I'm currently building my MPP Solar 800W 12V system and plan to add a fuse block, but i'm a bit confused of where it goes and what is needed to attach it to the system.

You should post a photo of your system. I'm currently building my MPP Solar 800W 12V system and plan to add a fuse block, but i'm a bit confused of where it goes and what is needed to attach it to the system.
I decided on a different smaller set up for the minivan due to space constraints so I no longer have that system for pics.
The 12v fuse box would be attached with 10g or 12g wire to the battery pos. and neg. thereby allowing you to mount the fuse box in a easily accessible spot of your choosing. Run your wires for all your 12v accessories from the fuse box. I used a six fuse box because that was all I needed. You can also buy boxes with more fuse points if you have more than six.

diy solar

diy solar
Back