diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar - disable inverter while leaving mppt charger active?

jaffadog

Hello! I see @Will Prowse loves these units :) but also see that he points out a high standby load on the inverter (15W for the 800/1000W units). Is it possible to turn the inverter off while still having the unit charge batteries via the mppt solar charger? or is the on/off button an all or nothing thing? I've skimmed the manual and could find anything that clearly spells this out. Thanks!

Bump. Can any existing MPP Solar owners shed some light on this?

Hello @jaffadog, turning the inverter off won't turn the charge controller off, I did turn off the inverter couple days ago because the battery was to low, it was at the very morning without sun, and it started charging the batteries as soon as the sun cames out even that the inverter switch was off.

Thanks @JoseAgustinV. might be a dumb question, but: to turn the inverter off, you are rolling the rocker switch to off? And the lcd panel goes dark? But it appears to keep on charging your battery via the mppt? Thanks!

The switch on the unit is to turn on/off the inverter, not the unit itself. After you turn the inverter off, the lcd display will turn itself off in a short time if the solar charger is not being used (no sun).

The lcd will turn on automatically when there is sun to charge your battery.

Thats what happened when i turned of the inverter, the lcd is always on when your inverter is on, but i think its off when the inverter is off and the solar charger is not charging your batteries

thanks @JoseAgustinV . I ordered and just received one of these units. And yeah, as you described, the MPPT is active regardless of whether the rocker switch is on or off. The MPPT seems to power itself off when PV voltage drops below batt voltage. So the rocker switch only controls the inverter and mains charger, and not the MPPT. all good:).

Bump. Can any existing MPP Solar owners shed some light on this?

The Mpp is quite self sufficient. With the inverter off, little switch on the bottom right, the system wakes itself up in the morning and puts itself to bed at night. The only led will be the charge status led, blinking or solid depending on the state of charge (SOC)...see learning some new acronyms.

Can you bring the inverter on by putting a load on it ?
No, if you switch the inverter off it will remain off until you switch it on.

You can use the power saving mode for that, to keep the inverter off until it detects loads, but i tried it and it wont get on if the load is low so it is useless for my needs. I just turn it off manually when i need to.

No, if you switch the inverter off it will remain off until you switch it on.

You can use the power saving mode for that, to keep the inverter off until it detects loads, but i tried it and it wont get on if the load is low so it is useless for my needs. I just turn it off manually when i need to.
I found that with very low loads the lights would pulse.

I found that with very low loads the lights would pulse.
I have a voltage regulator and the "normal" light on it seems to be blinking when i have the inverter on power saving mode with very low load (2 routers), that could be dangerous for the appliances

If you have small loads, disable the power saving mode (setting 04) to avoid this problem.

I have the hybrid LV2424. It does not seem to have any way to disable power saving mode. Setting 4 is output frequency for me.

Back