diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar vs separate components

Exactly. Will's hand truckl should have been filed for a patent or I stole his idea... without knowing it :)

Exactly. Will's hand truckl should have been filed for a patent or I stole his idea... without knowing it :)

I like the idea. But to be completely portable, what would one do for inverter grounding? I don't plan on a portable but will the MPP run safely if not connected to the grid? I honestly don't know. I have been looking at MPP and like this one:

I haven't made a decision on an inverter yet. I have 8 280ah cells on the way so I have many options. Since my use will be primarily for a UPS, MPP might be the way to go even though I can't do solar for now.

The one I linked to features AVR, has 4 built in AC sockets (no hard wiring) and comes with the battery cable.

It is 2700 watts which is way more than I would need for now. The only downside is it is limited to 25 amps for charging and as I said no hard wiring for AC. But it's about as plug and play as any I have seen with only the AC grid having to be wired into it.

I also like the programming capability of the MPP Solars. To get all those features in other inverter/chargers one has to spend a lot of money.

I like the idea. But to be completely portable, what would one do for inverter grounding? I don't plan on a portable but will the MPP run safely if not connected to the grid? I honestly don't know. I have been looking at MPP and like this one:

I haven't made a decision on an inverter yet. I have 8 280ah cells on the way so I have many options. Since my use will be primarily for a UPS, MPP might be the way to go even though I can't do solar for now.

The one I linked to features AVR, has 4 built in AC sockets (no hard wiring) and comes with the battery cable.

It is 2700 watts which is way more than I would need for now. The only downside is it is limited to 25 amps for charging and as I said no hard wiring for AC. But it's about as plug and play as any I have seen with only the AC grid having to be wired into it.

I also like the programming capability of the MPP Solars. To get all those features in other inverter/chargers one has to spend a lot of money.
Ground is ground. No matter what kind of ground you have should work for the circuit as a ground. MPP AIO is an inverter for 24V DC to 120V ac so it could be an ideal solution for both portable off-grid and small grid-tied system.

I’ve got the MPP 2.4 kWh model.
My thoughts and observations:
Positives
  • you’ll require less space for the AIO (All-In-One);
  • wiring is less complex;
  • programming is mostly in one place;
  • easier monitoring through a single interface.
Negatives
  • If it breaks you lose a number of your power elements (SCC, inverter, automatic transfer switch). Easier to replace a single element in a non-AIO system;
  • upgrading to a higher power level may be more expensive. You may only need to replace one item in a non-AIO
  • The charge and discharge lines are one and the same in as far as the inverter is concerned, so a BMS that can stop charging or discharging effectively ends up doing both when it does either;
  • you still need a method to ensure you don’t over-discharge through your DC service draws. Either a BMS or another battery protect device.
I'm really glad I found this thread and this post specifically as I'm debating about this myself!

I didn't see "cost" as an element, but it seems like the AIO is "cheaper", but less control over the quality of the individual bits... and it might be more expensive in the long-run if one bit goes out and the whole thing needs to be replaced.

I'm really glad I found this thread and this post specifically as I'm debating about this myself!

I didn't see "cost" as an element, but it seems like the AIO is "cheaper", but less control over the quality of the individual bits... and it might be more expensive in the long-run if one bit goes out and the whole thing needs to be replaced.
No that's wrong. If you have a problem you contact the manufacturer and they will diagnose it with you. They then send you replacement parts. During the warranty period there are several options. If you order from Ian here, it's well known you will receive superb support.

Back