diy solar

diy solar

My 12 volt solar trailer

Sorry , my description didn't post.
It currently consists of 4 -225 ah Interstate 6 volt batteries wired series parallel. 2 -100 watt solar panels going to I believe 30 amp mppt charge controller. The engine is a harbor freight 212 predator engine (non hemi) I installed electric start on that gets turned on by deep sea clone gen start system which is then in turn activated by Victron smart shunt. Which then starts engine powering a 60 amp gm alternator charging batteries when around 60 percent DOD.
I built it for no particular reason just cause I could . Heh , the inverter/charger is Vanner modified sine unit probably 1500 watts 3000 surge. These pictures are just what I had on my phone. End thought I may convert to dual fuel to make engine easier to start not having to deal with choke on propane. Edit-For the life of me I cant figure out why I cant add more pictures in a post. or add story to above post.

Last edited:
Getting the hang of this .. will post better pics when it all goes back together. May be awhile wife doesn't share my enthusiasm.
20220228_165458.jpg

Attachments

• 20220228_165506.jpg
    20220228_165506.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the party Partlyshady. I look forward to seeing your progress.

The switch (circled in red) may not be intended for use under load. The Anderson type (circled in yellow) connectors, which I have, can handle hundreds of disconnects under load. Just sharing one of my "Soap Box" subjects.

PartlyShady 01.PNG

Last edited:
Welcome to the party Partlyshady. I look forward to seeing your progress.

The switch (circled in red) may not be intended for use under load. The Anderson type (circled in yellow) connectors, which I have, can handle hundred of disconnects under load. Just sharing one of my "Soap Box" subjects.

View attachment 99808
While I agree it's a cheap switch. It is a high current disconnect. Can you please explain why it is not suitable to be used under load?
In my current form it is also used to break current from my gen set control (not pictured)

While I agree it's a cheap switch. It is a high current disconnect. Can you please explain why it is not suitable to be used under load?
In my current form it is also used to break current from my gen set control (not pictured)
Too late tonight, happy to follow up though. Soap Box 03.png

Many switches which refer to themselves as a "Disconnect" are not designed to cope with the DC arc. Unless the switch specifically states it is safe to use under load, it probably is not. If the instructions state something like "STOP MOTOR BEFORE DISCONNECTING" the switch is not suitable for disconnecting under load.

Just because the switch is rated for high amperage does NOT mean it is approved for use under load.

Anderson plugs like the SB 120 are approved for use under load. www.andersonpower.com
"Hot Plug Current Rating Amperes - Wire & Busbar
250 cycles at 120V DC 60A"

Siemens safety switch Model No. GF222NA is approved for thousands of disconnects under load and states exactly that in the documentation.
Siemens LOAD BREAK RATINGS p4-4.png

Other good products comes from Blue Sea. Not all are for use under load though. Numerous folks here in the forum use and like their products. It is very similar in design to the switch you have pictured but that is where the similarities end. It's worth the extra money.

If the switch costs $10 to $15 it's probably only good for disconnecting when under ZERO load. Check out reviews on the cheap switches, search for the word fire or melted.

Do your homework, read the instructions. If there are no instructions, my bet is it's crap waiting to fail.

Getting the hang of this .. will post better pics when it all goes back together. May be awhile wife doesn't share my enthusiasm.
Ya, I had the same problem with the wife a couple of years ago when I spent money to install a whole house backup system. Funny, she hasn't said another word about it since the first time power went out in the area and we were the only house with electricity.

Many switches which refer to themselves as a "Disconnect" are not designed to cope with the DC arc. Unless the switch specifically states it is safe to use under load, it probably is not. If the instructions state something like "STOP MOTOR BEFORE DISCONNECTING" the switch is not suitable for disconnecting under load.

Just because the switch is rated for high amperage does NOT mean it is approved for use under load.

Anderson plugs like the SB 120 are approved for use under load. www.andersonpower.com
"Hot Plug Current Rating Amperes - Wire & Busbar
250 cycles at 120V DC 60A"

Siemens safety switch Model No. GF222NA is approved for thousands of disconnects under load and states exactly that in the documentation.
View attachment 100386

Other good products comes from Blue Sea. Not all are for use under load though. Numerous folks here in the forum use and like their products. It is very similar in design to the switch you have pictured but that is where the similarities end. It's worth the extra money.

If the switch costs $10 to $15 it's probably only good for disconnecting when under ZERO load. Check out reviews on the cheap switches, search for the word fire or melted.

Do your homework, read the instructions. If there are no instructions, my bet is it's crap waiting to fail.
Ok, I totally understand that but I don't think I'll ever have the occasion to turn off the inverter while it's under a load. Also like I said it powers up my other electronics nothing of high amperage. I have no illusions of it's quality.. but it works for now!:)

Ya, I had the same problem with the wife a couple of years ago when I spent money to install a whole house backup system. Funny, she hasn't said another word about it since the first time power went out in the area and we were the only house with electricity.
We never have had that happen here because a lot of the utilities are under ground . For me it's educational and fun .. wish there was a Sunday show and shine cruise in for the solar nerds!

Back