diy solar

diy solar

My first system

Budsy

Hi this is a basic diagram of what will be my first build and would like anyone to tell me if there is anything I’m missing
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 29
Backup for what?
We need a lot more info about your planned usage if you want a decent answer.
Part of what you're asking is is this adequate for the intended use?
It will be for powering my workshop day to day which is just lights and recharging power tools and computers and phones but also for backing up my fridge during power outages

add a fast acting fuse, immediately of the main positive. class t or similar. size this based on your max draw. including inefficiency's.
i would use thicker cables than your suggesting. dont cheap out on cable or lugs.
if your solar array is outputting 37amps be mindful mc4 connectors usually aren't rated for more than 30

add a fast acting fuse, immediately of the main positive. class t or similar. size this based on your max draw. including inefficiency's.
i would use thicker cables than your suggesting. dont cheap out on cable or lugs.
if your solar array is outputting 37amps be mindful mc4 connectors usually aren't rated for more than 30
What sort of connectors would I use instead of mc4’s?

This may be a stupid question but on a 2 pole breaker is the input the bottom or the top?
Not stupid. By convention line side of a breaker is the end the on/off lever points to when in shut position. In DC you do have to watch for polarized versions where it matters which lug is positive/negative wired.

For fusing I would use a MRBF 200amp fuse on each battery and a 225 amp Class T in the middle of the cable to the inverter positive.

The MRBF keep the batteries from dumping into each other if one has an issue. The class T protects if there is a short inside the inverter.

#2 welding wire is rated at 208amps typically. But I would go up to 1/0 to cover issues like shorts - the increased mass and capacity gives time for the fuse to blow before the wire is red hot.

Watch out for knockoff fuses - Amazon is not a good source - here is a sample that is good.

I am assuming you are using LiFePO4 batteries.

Not stupid. By convention line side of a breaker is the end the on/off lever points to when in shut position. In DC you do have to watch for polarized versions where it matters which lug is positive/negative wired.
Shut position meaning off?

For fusing I would use a MRBF 200amp fuse on each battery and a 225 amp Class T in the middle of the cable to the inverter positive.

The MRBF keep the batteries from dumping into each other if one has an issue. The class T protects if there is a short inside the inverter.

#2 welding wire is rated at 208amps typically. But I would go up to 1/0 to cover issues like shorts - the increased mass and capacity gives time for the fuse to blow before the wire is red hot.

Watch out for knockoff fuses - Amazon is not a good source - here is a sample that is good.

I am assuming you are using LiFePO4 batteries.
Thank you and yes life04

Shut position meaning off?

If the breaker is polerized it will be clearly marked on the side and usually on the terminals. In a standard build it is easy the panels are the positive (higher potential) and the top and the mppt is the negative (lower potential) and on the bottom.

Off is the bottom when you install breakers intended to work in the vertical position. Almost all breakers will work properly in either sideways or vertical but there are a few out there that are not only polerized but also have a specific position they have to be in.

Almost all breakers will work properly in either sideways or vertical but there are a few out there that are not only polerized but also have a specific position they have to be in.
I'm trying to find more info this, when I was researching for breakers for my current system I was reading something about a failsafe that melts and has to fall downwards as such the breaker must be placed vertical and the correct way up, but now I can't seem to find anything on the topic.

Your diagram shows two 24v batteries in series. Your inverter is labeled 24v. You should be using a 48v inverter.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find more info this, when I was researching for breakers for my current system I was reading something about a failsafe that melts and has to fall downwards as such the breaker must be placed vertical and the correct way up, but now I can't seem to find anything on the topic.
Someone explained to me that positioning Vertical for a DC breaker was necessary due to the nature of arcs rising. The rising arc encounters a insulating baffle (arc chute) that breaks it. Hanging the breaker upside down would allow the arc to not rise into the arc chute.

However it was decades ago when I was taught the mechanics of breakers so my memory of particulars of design and theory is quite hazy now.

diy solar

diy solar
Back