diy solar

diy solar

My Stacked Sol-Ark12k Setup

I finally finished my first solar install. All I have left is the inspection from the city and SRP. My system consists of 2 Sol--Ark 12ks, 30 Sunpower x22 360w With Tigo RSD, 6 SunPower x21 350W enphase AC coupled. 9 REC 365W 2 Storz Power Server Rack batteries. I'm a little bit nervous about passing inspection so if anybody sees anything obvious in the photos please let me know. The array on the right in the photo was not complete at the time we took the photo.
Looks Great.
My 2 cents,
Something to prevent water and debris from entering your battery's.
Maybe a metal shelf a couple inches above for ventilation.
I have the same habit of laying things anywhere there is space.

The utilities.
Just another roadblock to keep solar expensive because the city not going to allow non-UL listed equipment. When sodium-ion batteries start to become widely available utilities are going to be in real trouble solar going to get lot cheaper. The problem here is during the summer we need so much power to run AC units it requires a much larger system. My power bill has increased a lot summertime I was over $500 a month winter without heat pump running still over $200 a month. I use evaporative cooling in the spring and fall my plan is to connect that to my offgrid system, and some servers, and computers I run 24/7. We need to move to a bigger home I'm thinking about buying 1 acer property where I can build large solar array on a ground mount and completely disconnect from the utility.

Just another roadblock to keep solar expensive because the city not going to allow non-UL listed equipment. When sodium-ion batteries start to become widely available utilities are going to be in real trouble solar going to get lot cheaper. The problem here is during the summer we need so much power to run AC units it requires a much larger system. My power bill has increased a lot summertime I was over $500 a month winter without heat pump running still over $200 a month. I use evaporative cooling in the spring and fall my plan is to connect that to my offgrid system, and some servers, and computers I run 24/7. We need to move to a bigger home I'm thinking about buying 1 acer property where I can build large solar array on a ground mount and completely disconnect from the utility.
Pytes Batteries are on the list and they are one of the cheapest options. I also use evap cooler but I was thinking about adding mini splits in target areas of the house. So I don't need to run central unit as much iff at all.

Also interesting to see section 328.5 saying "max individual ESS unit to be 20kWh". How does that fit with the upcoming 560Ah cells - i.e. 28.6kWh?
AC ESS is 1741 inverter + its batteries.
DC ESS is a battery.

Who knows what they'll do with new cell sizes. I don't think IRC really cares to make everything divide nicely.

ESS makers might be strongly encouraged to switch to more flexible voltage range to max out the 20kWh allowed for a single stack. For instance something around 70V nominal will max out 20kWh on 280Ah cells.

OTOH, it depends on what % of installations are for residential vs other locations.

Pytes Batteries are on the list and they are one of the cheapest options. I also use evap cooler but I was thinking about adding mini splits in target areas of the house. So I don't need to run central unit as much iff at all.
I read the interconnect agreement for APS didn't see anything in there regarding the California list all it said was the inverter has to be certified UL 1741. I will have to call them ask about this the list from California I noticed is missing several UL 1741 inverters.

I read the interconnect agreement for APS didn't see anything in there regarding the California list all it said was the inverter has to be certified UL 1741. I will have to call them ask about this the list from California I noticed is missing several UL 1741 inverters.

SolArk 12k should be on the list.

California is well past just requiring only 1741, it needs 1741SA or SB depending on when the inverter hit the market. If the inverter is new it needs SB.

Do not buy equipment until after your interconnection application is approved unless you’re ok with taking a calculated risk.

SolArk 12k should be on the list.

California is well past just requiring only 1741, it needs 1741SA or SB depending on when the inverter hit the market. If the inverter is new it needs SB.

Do not buy equipment until after your interconnection application is approved unless you’re ok with taking a calculated risk.
This is the email response I got for SRP when I asked them about a battery model that was not on their list but the manufacturer was for a different model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_224321_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_224321_Gmail.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 16
Are these batteries an approved UL9540 pair with SolArk? Are there stickers with a control number?

Are they rebadged from one of the manufacturers on the list?

Are these batteries an approved UL9540 pair with SolArk? Are there stickers with a control number?

Are they rebadged from one of the manufacturers on the list?

So the Storz Power batteries I'm currently running are on the list and good to go.

But I wanted to go with these :
https://www.solar-electric.com/pytes-v5-5-12kwh-51-2v-100ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery.html they are not on SRP list of approved batteries.

But these ones are:
https://www.solar-electric.com/pyte...WA2UQ_W6l2Cf8Sgq3Y79Wwb2fIw_AFpBoCWvoQAvD_BwE
The e-box only has a 50 amp continuous BMS that's why I wanted to go with the other ones.

Sol-Ark
BATTERY PARTNERS
Currently Supporting Closed Loop Communications & UL 9540

I wonder if it's possible to go completely off grid that would allow lot more freedom when it comes to what you want to install. I figured out my highest usage is around 140KWH in the summer. I wonder how many panels I would need my AC unit pulls 4500 watts, stove 4500, water heater 4500. I suppose total power at one time could be 20k watts. Probably would need about 50 panels 400 watt each to do it, and at least 50k watts of storage. Cheaper to just move up north where it's cooler.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to go completely off grid that would allow lot more freedom when it comes to what you want to install. I figured out my highest usage is around 140KWH in the summer. I wonder how many panels I would need my AC unit pulls 4500 watts, stove 4500, water heater 4500. I suppose total power at one time could be 20k watts. Probably would need about 50 panels 400 watt each to do it, and at least 50k watts of storage. Cheaper to just move up north where it's cooler.
I'm 90% off grid, 65KW a day max.
11,700w panels,
61 kw EG4 lipos,
12K growatt
all electric .

I passed inspection with this city. No I'm just trying to figure out the best SRP solar price plan.

APS got back to me sure enough they also use the CEC list. They said only requirements were that my meter and disconnect be outside my fenced in area where they can get to it which it already is with my main panel. I'm thinking about upgrading the main to a solar ready 225 Amp busbar.

I saw the EG-4 18Kpv inverter was on the list although I probably go with Sol-ark. I can get it approved, and installed go from there what I want to do.

On their application guide says over 10kw DC system can't exceed 150% of the customers one-hour peak demand measured in AC over the prior 12 months. Also 200-amp service max 15kw DC. My highest demand was 7.5 KWH over one hour in August that means my max DC is 18.75KW system. They know going to 400-amp system to get to 30 kw is not worth adding 3kw of solar. This was for RCP plan they do have EPR-2 net billing < 100 KW AC. Need to clarify that maybe only related to RCP plan pays more for selling back power.

Monopolies don't like it when you give them competition.

Last edited:
APS got back to me sure enough they also use the CEC list. They said only requirements were that my meter and disconnect be outside my fenced in area where they can get to it which it already is with my main panel. I'm thinking about upgrading the main to a solar ready 225 Amp busbar.

I saw the EG-4 18Kpv inverter was on the list although I probably go with Sol-ark. I can get it approved, and installed go from there what I want to do.

On their application guide says over 10kw DC system can't exceed 150% of the customers one-hour peak demand measured in AC over the prior 12 months. Also 200-amp service max 15kw DC. My highest demand was 7.5 KWH over one hour in August that means my max DC is 18.75KW system. They know going to 400-amp system to get to 30 kw is not worth adding 3kw of solar. This was for RCP plan they do have EPR-2 net billing < 100 KW AC. Need to clarify that maybe only related to RCP plan pays more for selling back power.

Monopolies don't like it when you give them competition.
I'm hoping the EG4 Power pro batteries make it on the list.

I'm hoping the EG4 Power pro batteries make it on the list.
Once up and running put the CT current clamps on then you can limit export and add more batteries. The only way they know what you're doing is if you export power to them at night beyond what your battery rated for. Even if you use UL certified batteries I don't see where they can do anything about it. None of their contracts you sign state it has to be CEC approved. I'm guessing they don't want that in writing because lot of people here are anti-California APS made it clear that their list comes from CEC list. They can only enforce it when you first install after that they won't know won't hurt them. I know people who replaced inverters that burned out with new ones wasn't even the same model because the model they had was 15 years old.

Once up and running put the CT current clamps on then you can limit export and add more batteries. The only way they know what you're doing is if you export power to them at night beyond what your battery rated for. Even if you use UL certified batteries I don't see where they can do anything about it. None of their contracts you sign state it has to be CEC approved. I'm guessing they don't want that in writing because lot of people here are anti-California APS made it clear that their list comes from CEC list. They can only enforce it when you first install after that they won't know won't hurt them. I know people who replaced inverters that burned out with new ones wasn't even the same model because the model they had was 15 years old.
SRP requires us have a solar meter and a battery storage meter.

Back