diy solar

diy solar

Need A/B switch from solar panels to charger

TexasFarmboy

Hi, I am a newbie and need to switch power from the solar panels/water well to solar panels/battery bank. Thanks in advance for all your help and expertise. The current system is

4 Phono Solar PS370M 24/T, with 3 connected to Grundfos solar water pump and 1 free. Water goes into 2 - 1000 gallon storage tanks, so there is no need for daily pumping. The original plan was to use the one free panel but I discovered that it wasn't enough to charge the batteries. Plan B is to use the existing 3 panels to power 4 MK Solar Deka 8A31DT 12V batteries that will run the freezer (1.2A @ 120V) and refrigerator (1.6A at 120V) if needed. Live in South Texas 1 hr south of Austin, so plenty of sunshine. Inverter is Victron Phoenix 48V/1200W PIN48212055.

In order to take advantage of the 3 idle panels I need a A/B switch that will transfer power to the battery bank. Can't find anything that looks like it will work so my workaround is using 2 circuit breakers, normally ON, from solar panels to well, jump the wires from these two +/- breakers to input set of two that go to the charger for battery bank, normally OFF. When I need to switch, turn OFF the first 2 to the water well and turn ON the second 2 to the battery bank.

Would this work? What size circuit breakers do you recommend? Rated power voltage is 48.12V and rated power current of 9.49A/panel. Total volts would be 145V standard temperature. Total watts is 1110W. It does get to freezing, so rating up with 1.12 multiplier, total watts is 1250W.

Also need to run wire about 50ft from panels to charger/battery bank. Would #8 work or should I go as big as feasible?

I will also need to upgrade my Victron 100/30 charger to match the higher power of 3 panels. Recommendations?

Thanks for all the help and patience.

Back