diy solar

diy solar

Need help with rv conversion

haze5736

I have a small rv that I'm in the process of fixing. I have all the 12v and 110v wiring done and hooked up to an all in one power distribution center (PDC). The PDC is an older Progressive Dynamics PD4000. I believe these older models do not have a selection switch for lead acid or lithium.

I ordered a lithium battery and bms but no solar. I may add solar in the next year or two. My plans right now are to get a battery hooked up so I can hit the road and camp for long weekends then return home and recharge the battery. I will not have an inverter and my 12v loads are minimal; four to six led lights and a 12v power outlet.

I want to make sure I hook everything up correctly. The main question I have so far is, will I be ok with my current PDC? I'm assuming that the bms will deal with whatever the PDC's charger throws at the battery. Is that correct?

Thanks.

I have a small rv that I'm in the process of fixing. I have all the 12v and 110v wiring done and hooked up to an all in one power distribution center (PDC). The PDC is an older Progressive Dynamics PD4000. I believe these older models do not have a selection switch for lead acid or lithium.

I ordered a lithium battery and bms but no solar. I may add solar in the next year or two. My plans right now are to get a battery hooked up so I can hit the road and camp for long weekends then return home and recharge the battery. I will not have an inverter and my 12v loads are minimal; four to six led lights and a 12v power outlet.

I want to make sure I hook everything up correctly. The main question I have so far is, will I be ok with my current PDC? I'm assuming that the bms will deal with whatever the PDC's charger throws at the battery. Is that correct?

Thanks.

A typical BMS is like a backup parachute.
You should have one but you shouldn't use it unless the main chute malfunctions.
In this case the main chute is a proper charging solution.
What exact battery do you have?
Lithium is a blanket term for a lot of different chemistries.
The PD4000 bulk voltage is 14.4 volts which is fine for lifepo4.
Its way too much for a 3s "vent with fire" lithium ion battery.

I use the term Inverter/charger to mean the device that charges my 12v battery and inverts 110ac to 12V DC. :)
Ahh.
That is a dc charger.
An inverter / charger is a device that takes dc and outputs ac, and can take in ac to charge the bank.
Often is programmable to when which mode is chosen.
Also, can perform as a UPS or powerwall.

Reactions: Dzl
I called Progressive Dynamics and was told I can upgrade my PD4000 to LifePO4 by replacing the charging section with part number PD4045LICSV. I ordered the part to keep things simple with a plug and play solution.

I called Progressive Dynamics and was told I can upgrade my PD4000 to LifePO4 by replacing the charging section with part number PD4045LICSV. I ordered the part to keep things simple with a plug and play solution.
I saw your other thread.
You should put that order on hold while we discuss inverter/chargers with integrated transfer switches.
It will work better, be easier to integrate and most likely save you money.

diy solar

diy solar
Back