diy solar

diy solar

Need Post Hurricane Advice

NOLA Gurl

I am a senior without means to evacuate should a storm strike. Life after Hurricane Ida was horrible so I’m trying to get solar in place in case we get hit by a storm. My biggest need is to power my cpap every night in case the power goes out. My plan is to buy a low end 300 watt power station and a 100 or 120 watt portable solar panel. I live on the second floor so my big question is if I hang a portable solar panel outside of my second story south facing window would it be possible to recharge a power station this way? My other windows are north facing with maybe two hours of northwestern sunlight in the afternoon. product recommendations are welcome but keep ‘low end’ in mind as this equipment will only be used after a storm/s and not for anything else so long term durability is not an issue. thanks.

If this is your property, hanging a panel could be OK. If not like an apt then I’d say no. The panel is approximately 3 feet by 2 feet, so if you'd hang a same sized board, than it’s ok.

For charging a CPAP, if you could get a kilowatt meter and measure the watt hours a night, plus any devices you want to use, then you’d get an idea of how much energy is needed.

I'm thinking that post-hurricane, if the power is out, the management has better things to do than hassle you about BS rules for your balcony. Heck yeah you should hang a solar panel over your south-facing railing to charge a power station. Make sure the panel has the right connectors and voltage to work with your power station. Test it out before you need it.

You can't rely on the sun shining to recharge. Get a portable power station. It should have enough power to run your cpap for days. Ideally via direct DC. Turn off the unit during the day to save standby power. You can also buy solar panels designed for them.

Last edited:
If this is your property, hanging a panel could be OK. If not like an apt then I’d say no. The panel is approximately 3 feet by 2 feet, so if you'd hang a same sized board, than it’s ok.

For charging a CPAP, if you could get a kilowatt meter and measure the watt hours a night, plus any devices you want to use, then you’d get an idea of how much energy is needed.
i've been told a 300 watt power station will power my cpap for 3 days which is why i'm thinking about that. mgmt won't be here or care after a hurricane as everyone will be in survival mode. do you think a 100 or 120 will recharge the power station by hanging on the side of the building? that would be great!! what is a board?? thanks for your response.

I'm thinking that post-hurricane, if the power is out, the management has better things to do than hassle you about BS rules for your balcony. Heck yeah you should hang a solar panel over your south-facing railing to charge a power station. Make sure the panel has the right connectors and voltage to work with your power station. Test it out before you need it.
thanks for your response and i do plan to test everything as soon as i understand what to get. do you think a 100 or 120 panel will charge a 300 watt station? i have no understanding of these things. so far i've looked at dc out and in connecters between the two products. and your def right. mgmt won't care! thanks.

You can't rely on the sun shining to recharge. Get a portable power station. It should have enough power to run your cpap for days. Ideally via direct DC. Turn off the unit during the day to save standby power. You can also buy solar panels designed for them.
that's my plan, portable station and solar panels to keep it charged when the power goes down. thanks for your response.

After the hurricane has passed yes. However 2017 Harvey moved slow and dumped rain for a week before we saw sun.

@NOLA Gurl Welcome! what is the model number of the CPAP? Do you have a DC car charger?
rain for a week, ugh. my experiences have always been bright sunny days and extremely high temps. i don't have a dc charger. it's actually a bipap named resmed aircurve 10, see attachment. thanks for your response.

Attachments

• aircurve.JPG
    aircurve.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
i've been told a 300 watt power station will power my cpap for 3 days which is why i'm thinking about that. mgmt won't be here or care after a hurricane as everyone will be in survival mode. do you think a 100 or 120 will recharge the power station by hanging on the side of the building? that would be great!! what is a board?? thanks for your response.
Just be aware a 300W power station like an ecoflow river 2 for example only has a 256Wh battery. So not a lot there. Also pretty loud with fan noise if you have any decent AC load.

I would suggest something like a Delta 2, 1kWh and much higher output capability if needed to power your fridge as well?

just looked at the delta 2, that's a nice unit. it's way above my budget unfortunately. if i can power my cpap, phone, and a little fan i might make it. i didn't have a fan until the last day of blackout after Ida and it was a very challenging experience in the heat at my age. my senior neighbor across the street was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion. i'm def trying to avoid that! thanks for your response.

just looked at the delta 2, that's a nice unit. it's way above my budget unfortunately. if i can power my cpap, phone, and a little fan i might make it. i didn't have a fan until the last day of blackout after Ida and it was a very challenging experience in the heat at my age. my senior neighbor across the street was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion. i'm def trying to avoid that! thanks for your response.
In that case I'd go with a river 2 for $168. I have two of them.

You can easily extend runtime with a 12V 100Ah battery down the line.

Pair that with any solar battery that can output 12 to 24v.

If you use humidifier and heated hose, you need about 1kWh overnight. After a hurricane, you can probably skip that, and 1kWh would last you a few days. Get a 12v battery, and lots of usb chargers, lights, and fans.

Last edited:
In that case I'd go with a river 2 for $168. I have two of them.

You can easily extend runtime with a 12V 100Ah battery down the line.
hey thanks, i'll def check it out. i don't understand what extending time with a battery means but would like to learn. do you know of a video or how do i search about that to get info? thanks!

hey thanks, i'll def check it out. i don't understand what extending time with a battery means but would like to learn. do you know of a video or how do i search about that to get info? thanks!
So the river 2 should come with this cable. It will allow you to charge up from a cars 12V accessory outlet.

Screenshot_20240726_144156_Chrome.jpg

You can also get a similar cable that ends in ring terminals, which you can attach to an external battery. the River 2 will see this as solar input and start charging (at around 100W).

Screenshot_20240726_144808_Chrome.jpg

rain for a week, ugh. my experiences have always been bright sunny days and extremely high temps. i don't have a dc charger. it's actually a bipap named resmed aircurve 10, see attachment. thanks for your response.
My experiences have also been super high temps, almost no wind or clouds and very high humidity . It lasts for about 2 weeks after a Hurricane has passed. I have heard people call it Hurricane Heat and IMHO it is one of the most physically draining weather events to deal with.

Last edited:
My experiences have also been super high temps, almost no wind or clouds and very high humidity . It lasts for about 2 weeks after a Hurricane has passed. I have heard people call it Hurricane Heat and IMHO it is one of the most energy sapping weather events to deal with.
yep. that about sums it up. unfortunately, the power outages can last longer. ugh. is there a way to convert my ac cpap to dc? an adapter or something? thanks.

So the river 2 should come with this cable. It will allow you to charge up from a cars 12V accessory outlet.

View attachment 231412

You can also get a similar cable that ends in ring terminals, which you can attach to an external battery. the River 2 will see this as solar input and start charging (at around 100W).

View attachment 231414

ohh, i think i get that. if my power station had a dc input i can still go from lighter (battery) to station with the proper cable? also, don't laugh, but i'm guessing the vehicle has to be running for this to work?? how much faster is that than solar?? so many questions . . . thanks for chatting with me!

diy solar

diy solar
Back