diy solar

diy solar

Need solar for off-grid cabin 12k inverter

Elkhunter86

What is a good solid inverter and system setup? I was looking at the EG4 18k, the rich Solar nova 12k, and a couple others.

If it is truly off grid, I would look at getting 2 EG4 6000XPs.
You don't need the grid tie features of the 18KPV, and it will save you some major coin.

EG4 18Kpv and PowerPro batteries integrate well as an ESS, so for ease of installation and expansion I’ve ordered those. Everyone has different criteria.

What is a good solid inverter and system setup? I was looking at the EG4 18k, the rich Solar nova 12k, and a couple others.
'off grid cabin" and 12K are usually not in the same category.

Part time or full time use?

Do you really need 12Kw of energy?

There are some really solid LF choices for off grid but not that size.

True. I usually run off one of my inverters easily.
But I am going to move into my weekend place (eventually) while I am building my house there.

EG4 18Kpv and PowerPro batteries integrate well as an ESS, so for ease of installation and expansion I’ve ordered those. Everyone has different criteria.
I am thinking of purchasing the 18kpv with (2) 14.3kwh batteries. I wish I could find a video of someone installing this. Besides the inverter and batteries what else will I need? I already have my panels sourced. Hyperion 400w new at $100 each. What ground mounts do you recommend?

Part time or full time use?

Do you really need 12Kw of energy?

There are some really solid LF choices for off grid but not that size.
Fully off grid. Southwest Montana. With my well pump running, window unit when needed, lights, tv, router, etc I will pull 10kw with it all going. I realize this won’t be continuous. Fridge, stove, and water heater are propane.

Fully off grid. Southwest Montana. With my well pump running, window unit when needed, lights, tv, router, etc I will pull 10kw with it all going. I realize this won’t be continuous. Fridge, stove, and water heater are propane.
12KW isn’t unreasonable to cover peaks, startup surges, expansion, and some margin so you don’t run anywhere close to your rating, which can only help increase reliability.

If idle consumption is important, you want to consider the Victron offerings. I have a 12k Growatt and it works very well for me but idle consumption is north of 150 watts.

What ground mounts do you recommend?
I have no idea, it’s going to depend on your individual circumstances. I have literally tons of concrete in bollards, but then I’m definitely subject to hurricanes. Nowadays, the common wisdom seems to be shallow mounts in an east west orientation, and frankly, that would’ve worked better and been a lot less expensive for me, though my ground mounts are already paid off, so I’m OK with the way it turned out.

diy solar

diy solar
Back