diy solar

diy solar

Need Solar Generator Help

CompMan2020

Did a few searches, but couldn't find a thread where different gens were compared to each other and ranked. Maybe I didn't search correctly?

Anyway, looking to get a Solar Gen for dual purpose. I'm in Florida and Hurricane season is here. I have a few gas generators, but Erma was a wake up call. I'm not 1 to sit on a line all day for a few gallons of gas. Solar is definitely the way to go.

I have a Van build in progress and have the electrical all done. Its a small system, but does the job for now. Looking to get a solar Gen as a backup to the Van and my home.

Van info - 2018 ProMaster High Roof - 4 AGM Batteries @ 420 AH, 3000/6000 watt pure sine inverter, EPEVER 30A Charge Controller, 2 x 100 watt solar panels (with room on the roof for a 3rd panel), 30A RV AC/DC distribution panel - 30 amp shore power connection, and have 0awg wire to the Van battery/alternator as a back up charging source.

I was looking to get the Bluetti EB240, but read a post where a well known member called it trash. I figured $1600 shipped from amazon was a great deal, but now, not so much.

Looked at the Titan but seems a bit too expensive for my use. Was hoping to get a few suggestions from members that have hands on and similar needs.

Thanks in Advance,

Rich.

I was looking to get the Bluetti EB240, but read a post where a well known member called it trash.
Can you link to that post? I'd like to see the context. For your use case and budget that unit might be a really good fit.

Also, well known on this forum doesn't necessarily mean knowledgeable and/or open minded in the area of solar generators/portable power systems. Some people have no use for them and thus no interest in them. By contrast, the most well known member (owner @Will Prowse) has the Bluetti EB units on his website as recommended plug-and-play portables. He's done numerous videos that show it in action, including running the AC in his solar shed for a while 24/7. I trust that endorsement.

And welcome to the forum!

Here's the link to the comment I was referring to... https://diysolarforum.com/goto/post?id=112883

I checked out all of Will's videos on YouTube before coming here, but couldn't find the section he was referring to on the AC200 Video. The one with his recommendations. Forgive me I'm a Newbie.

My only concern on the EB240 is the AC charging since I only have 200 watts of solar on the roof. Not liking charging for 10+ Hours. Still trying to figure it out though. Any help is welcomed.

Can you link to that post? I'd like to see the context. For your use case and budget that unit might be a really good fit.

Also, well known on this forum doesn't necessarily mean knowledgeable and/or open minded in the area of solar generators/portable power systems. Some people have no use for them and thus no interest in them. By contrast, the most well known member (owner @Will Prowse) has the Bluetti EB units on his website as recommended plug-and-play portables. He's done numerous videos that show it in action, including running the AC in his solar shed for a while 24/7. I trust that endorsement.

And welcome to the forum!

@Bob142 Thanks for the Link! Didn't think to check there. Just kept searching thru the forum. I do see what you are talking about. Looks like the EB240 is what I'm going to get.

My next question is how do I get my 12 volt devices working off that Gen? Right now I have them connected to My AC/DC fuse panel that has a 12V feed from my battery bank.

12V Devices Currently connected - Maxxair fan, Led lights, Strobe lights (for Work), 12 volt Fridge/Freezer.

My next question is how do I get my 12 volt devices working off that Gen? Right now I have them connected to My AC/DC fuse panel that has a 12V feed from my battery bank.

12V Devices Currently connected - Maxxair fan, Led lights, Strobe lights (for Work), 12 volt Fridge/Freezer.
Do you know how much current they draw? I suspect you'll need to be selective about what's running at one time. IIRC that unit has a 9A 12V cigarette lighter port. Since you're considering it as a backup option to an existing solar system in your van it might not matter too much unless the existing system is really on its last legs and/or unreliable. You'll have to think through the scenarios and use cases.

Check out Hobotech's YouTube videos on the Bluetti AC200, looks like an amazing solar generator.

Do you know how much current they draw? I suspect you'll need to be selective about what's running at one time. IIRC that unit has a 9A 12V cigarette lighter port. Since you're considering it as a backup option to an existing solar system in your van it might not matter too much unless the existing system is really on its last legs and/or unreliable. You'll have to think through the scenarios and use cases.

Was thinking about moving the batteries to my Splice Labs (Work Trailers) and using the solar setup and the bluetti only in the van as a space saver. This way the EB240 will always be hooked up to a charging source and be topped off when I need it in Emergency's.

I looked up the devices online and here is what I found...
Cooler - 45watts / 4amps
Fan - 60watts / 5amps
Lights - 24watts / 2amps
The strobe lights can be moved to the starting battery since I only use it while working and the Van will be running most of the time.

So with these numbers I'm over the amperage allowance by 2. Am I able to wire some devices to the USB ports?

Last edited:
Check out Hobotech's YouTube videos on the Bluetti AC200, looks like an amazing solar generator.

Yes sir, did that yesterday. No too many on youtube with videos on the EB240. Also saw the one where he used a 300 watt pure sine inverter to AC charge the bluetti off the cars 12 volt port. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Update - Ordered the EB240 for $1600. There were $295 in discounts I was able to use thanks to YouTube reviews. Also, the info here with Will's recommendations are phenomenal! Just need to figure out how to charge the Power station and my battery bank at the same time without damaging them.

diy solar

diy solar
Back