diy solar

diy solar

Using a solar generator daily

doppler2004

Any thoughts on using a solar generator as a main power source daily? I'm interested in jumping into solar, but relatively new to it and want to start small, and figured a solar generator (looking at the Bluetti AC200L or Ecoflow Delta 2 Max) would be an easy way to get started. I was thinking I could get a few used panels and just power a home office to start. I've thought about doing something like Will's hand truck video, as it's a better value per watt hour, but I also camp so figured I could use the generator for that as well.

Any reason not to do this? Seems like it would be fine with the LFP batteries, and both of those generators offer expansion if I wanted to ever do that.

Just know you’re needs and what you’re getting.

After you understand that, you’ll be able to build some for yourself better.

For example, some prebuilt solar generators can’t have extra battery packs added.

I’m there have limited solar input that tie you into getting that company’s panels.

When you design it yourself, there’s no worries for those issues.

If I were to buy something prebuilt I would get a Bluetti product because those could be added to. It is pricey.

Any thoughts on using a solar generator as a main power source daily?
Been doing exactly that for a few years now, using the original AC200 and AC200P. Of course due to the small battery size and available sunlight, you would definitely need to fall back on the grid at times, but it's doable. If I were just starting out now however, I would definitely get something bigger like the Anker Solix F3800. The only issue I see with the Anker is the limited solar input voltage of 60V, that would mean you have to have all panels in parallel, not a deal breaker, but inconvenient.

If you do the hand truck you will get a bigger and more expandable battery.

If you think this hobby will go on for you into bigger systems do the hand truck.

If you will be happy to stay in Bluetti's ecosystem then that's ok too.

If you do the hand truck you will get a bigger and more expandable battery.
I wouldn't be doing the hand truck since I don't need to be mobile, I am personally looking more into something like the EG4 6000XP or the SRNE 10K with server rack batteries. My only issue is because I am not located in the USA, it's a very expensive undertaking.

Definitely have gone back and forth about doing the hand truck vs something premade. I know it's cheaper, but I like the mobility of a smaller unit to start. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for considering this.

The other issue I have is I don't have a lot of space for panels, so a bigger battery won't do much for me if I always have to charge via the grid.

You don't need a lot of panels. I have a 4.6 KWH battery that I was able to charge from 0 to 100% in one day using two 365W panels. If you have space for 2 250W or more panels, you would be fine, with 4 panels you can charge any power station with room to spare.

Yeah. I've thought the same...don't need a lot of space to get started. Although panels are a little larger that I thought. I'm seeing a 200W panel is about 60x30 inches. I live in a sub, in the mid-west US, so I would hope to have 300-400W to be able to run mostly on solar, at least my office, that is.

Any good references/examples to creative panel mounts/setups in limited spaces?

After a Week of waiting for my 2 100 watt panels to charge up the power station I just started doing this a day or 2 ago, I use it to power my USB run devices and my laptop (as all this can run off the USB outputs since the power station has a 100w PD Type C port) for the 6-8 hours a day I spend on that side of the house, I'm already seeing the need for more panel input and have plans in motion to triple my panel input. The biggest issues with the power stations is the low solar input capabilities and the small battery capacity, by the time you've bought enough of the official battery add-ons you are cheaper off just building the Hand Truck build already referenced. I wouldn't waist time with the power stations if I knew then what I know now.

What power station did you get? Because all the ones you mentioned originally can take around 1200W at 150V.

Back