diy solar

diy solar

2200 watt Packron solar generator

kgard1225

Hi all , newbie here with a question I can’t find the answer to by searching. I’m looking for a budget priced backup in case of long term power outages. I have a whole house generator and a wood stove. I don’t want to empty my propane tank by running the generator long term. I really only need my 3 year old 22 cu ft Bosch refrigerator and 5 cu ft chest freezer to be kept working. I can only find a tag on the fridge that says 5.5 amps and 1.7 amps on the chest freezer. I have heard that most 22 cu ft refrigerators use about 1500 -1900 watts . Is there anyway I can figure out how big of a solar generator I need to keep these 2 things running for a week or so ? I’m looking at an Ecoflow or Packron 2200 watt with 600 watts of solar.

The best is to buy a Kill-A-Watt meter to plug the refrigerator for a day to see how much power it uses in 24 hours.Then use the meter to see how much the freezer uses in a day. I have a mini fridge plugged into a Delta 2. I can watch on the app that it uses 60w when running about 20 minutes an hour and surges to 550w on startup. A ballpark starting point for the Bosch may be the same ratio unless it's an inverter style.

Back