diy solar

diy solar

100. Watt compact panel

rdteeler

Hello y’all . My question is I have a 17 ft casita all fiberglass travel trailer . I’m wanting to install a small 100 watt panel on top . My area size is 36” long by 32” wide. I was looking at the HQST panel and the New powa panel. Any suggestions. Just want a good quality panel that is efficient. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 7
Both those manufacturers have been around for a while - so either will be fine.
Get what fits the best on the roof. (That’s the hardest part on RV’s).

Spend the little bit more and get a great quality Solar charge controller look at a Victron smartsolar mppt 75/15. (It can be more efficient that others).

The data you get - daily high voltage and low voltage can help you adjust your power useage if needed.

You may also want to consider adding a Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. This will tell you your state of charge - 84% vs 3 Led lights. Also, it can setup a Bluetooth network with the Victron Solar charge controller to pass along voltage and current so the battery gets the best charge. (Removes usage and wire losses from the equation).

Good Luck!

In addition, if I was going to mount a panel on a Casita, I would use VHB tape like this guy did.

I would also make sure your vent cover does not shade the panel.

PS: I like your dog!

Thank y’all for the reply’s. I have watched that video a couple of times. The panel they used on the roof was a Newpowa compact panel. I was going to buy that one. And I watched the video that William Powell did when he did the comparison between the Renogy the HQST ,and New Powa. One of my concern is if I mount the new powa panel with the vhb tape and say the panel fells ,how do you remove it since the screws slash bolt that holds the panel to the brackets are hard to get to according to the man in the casita video ? Second question I have a Renogy wondere I bought last year new in box I was going to use it doesn’t have the read out on panel have to connect a blue tooth module to it and read it on my iPhone app . If I was to get a victory 10 amp controller is that how you read it as well ? Also on pulling the solar wires down the vent pipe in closet ,when connecting to charge wires going to battery so I use the same 10 gauge solar wires for that too ? Thanks for y’all help I’m excited about doing this to my casita , my goel is to buy a 100amp lithium battery and jus a simple hook up .I was going to do this last year when my lead acid battery failed and we were heading to Yellowstone I had a few people on the casita forum telling me I would have to get a dc to dc controller . I was not prepared to do that so I bought a nice Motobatt 110 amp battery for the time being . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Back