diy solar

diy solar

Question re: solar power generators, solar charging and inverter draw

sb500

I understand that solar power "generators" have built in solar charge controllers, batteries, and inverters and that the inverters cause a draw at idle. I want a solar generator that will charge via solar panels when solar is available during peak hours, then automatically hibernate or go into sleep mode when the solar input is less than required for the charge controller so that the built-in inverter is not drawing power at idle. I do not want to have to manually shut the unit off after peak solar time and manually turn the device on each morning that it will need a recharge. I want it to be a 1kW to 3kW standalone (i.e. not a "back up" generator) power source for a three season room to power a tv/sound system on-demand when needed, and for this scenario I don't mind turning the unit "on and off." in order to power the entertainment system. But for charging I want this 100% automated. Are there any manufacturers that make this yet and if not, is it just a matter of time until they work this into the hardware and software? Seems such a huge waste to have an inverter running when most of the time it is not needed.

I have seen much disagreement about whether or not the Ecoflow Deltas perform this or not. And the disagreement may stem from 1) lack of real knowledge 2) different models within Ecoflow and different firmware versions within the models 3) additional hardware such as smart panels?

Thanks!

Most Bluetti products will wake up with solar input then power themselves off a bit after it goes away. Inverter is never on and consuming standby power unless you turn it on.

Back