diy solar

diy solar

Need to confirm tow vehicle alternator is safe from lithium battery upgrade

treeofliberty

I've done some online searching and reading, and believe that we are safe, but I would appreciate some feedback form the collective wisdom on this forum.

We have a solar and inverter setup in our fifth wheel and I recently replaced the aging lead acid battery bank with 2x400ah lifepo4 batteries. What my online research has led me to believe is that the tiny wiring in the 7-pin connector between the tow vehicle (2013 F350 diesel) and the RV will keep the draw from the batteries from overheating the alternator. Am I delusional? Are there other unintended consequences I need to mitigate?

Thanks for any feedback and/or advice.

Tim

I've done some online searching and reading, and believe that we are safe, but I would appreciate some feedback form the collective wisdom on this forum.

We have a solar and inverter setup in our fifth wheel and I recently replaced the aging lead acid battery bank with 2x400ah lifepo4 batteries. What my online research has led me to believe is that the tiny wiring in the 7-pin connector between the tow vehicle (2013 F350 diesel) and the RV will keep the draw from the batteries from overheating the alternator. Am I delusional? Are there other unintended consequences I need to mitigate?

Thanks for any feedback and/or advice.

Tim
Fwiw, I’m in a similar situation and have researched this a bit as well.

From my understanding, it’s not a good idea to try to charge a lithium bank from the 7pin. Lithium can draw a lot of amps and the wiring in the 7pin is too small to support this and could overheat. Use a DC-DC charger instead like the ones Renogy or Victron sell as this will control the current and give your batteries a proper and safe charge.

The problem is that if your system is 12v and your batteries are a long ways from your tow vehicle alternator, you’re going to need some pretty thick cables to avoid much voltage drop. Depending upon the size of your DC-DC charger. For a 800Ah bank, you’re going to want as large a DC-DC charger as your alternator can support. For example if your 800Ah battery bank is down to 50%, it will take 10 hours of driving with a 40A DC-DC charger to bring it back up to 100%, assuming no loads on the system and assuming you have no solar panels (or it’s cloudy) to supplement.

What I decided was it was cheaper and easier to not add a DC-DC charger and simply add more solar panels to the roof. Now our loads and battery are completely charged everyday by solar power alone. But our loads are low (mostly running a fridge) and our battery bank is only 200Ah. Powered by 400W panels and a 30A MPPT. But this only works this well in good sun, too many cloudy days and we gotta plug in the shore power charger.

Back