diy solar

diy solar

NEEY balancer Bluetooth stopped working

Jalle19

I have a NEEY 4A active balancer mounted inside an EEL battery box. All of a sudden yesterday my ESP32 that talks to it lost connection, and now I can't connect with the Android app either. Since the balancer is mounted inside the battery box it's a pain in the ass to get to, I'd basically have to disconnect the whole system and open up the battery.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I wire a switch to the e.g. the positive lead going to the balancer so I have a way to power cycle it? It's powered directly off the battery so power cycling the battery/BMS doesn't help.

I'm hoping the balancer still works even though I can't connect to it, but it's hard to tell. I guess I'll see the next time I charge the battery.

No, when I was using the Neey it never lost connection. Did you try and restart the ESP?
It could still be in connection with the ESP and not display it so. If that’s the case another device won’t connect. You may end up opening the box, but before you go through the effort of installing a switch as you describe, repower the Neey and see if it’s still working.

When you restart a Neey, its default is disabled. Turn it back on in the app

I have a NEEY 4A active balancer mounted inside an EEL battery box. All of a sudden yesterday my ESP32 that talks to it lost connection, and now I can't connect with the Android app either. Since the balancer is mounted inside the battery box it's a pain in the ass to get to, I'd basically have to disconnect the whole system and open up the battery.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I wire a switch to the e.g. the positive lead going to the balancer so I have a way to power cycle it? It's powered directly off the battery so power cycling the battery/BMS doesn't help.

I'm hoping the balancer still works even though I can't connect to it, but it's hard to tell. I guess I'll see the next time I charge the battery.
haven't had this happen at all

although i dont have an ESP that does continuous connections, i mainly use the app when i want to verify something

NEEY balancers are rather problematic do a search there are several of us who tried them with great expectations after off grid garages videos... now I at least know better.

I have two of them for a few years, but they are not presently in use because I went with JK bms’s. Each time I went to connect they were fast and rock solid until I disconnected or went out of range.

No, when I was using the Neey it never lost connection. Did you try and restart the ESP?
It could still be in connection with the ESP and not display it so. If that’s the case another device won’t connect. You may end up opening the box, but before you go through the effort of installing a switch as you describe, repower the Neey and see if it’s still working.
Yes, I've restarted it, reflashed it, left it unplugged for hours. No matter what I do, the balancer won't show up in the Neey app.
NEEY balancers are rather problematic do a search there are several of us who tried them with great expectations after off grid garages videos... now I at least know better.
Yeah I saw another thread where people where having issues, but not sure if they're related.

As far as I know the balancer broadcasts all data over BLE, so whether or not anyone is actively reading them shouldn't really matter. But then again, and ESP32 "hogs" the connection unless manually released, so perhaps the balancer just can't handle being talked to continuously. If this was a wide-spread issue you'd think people would have written about it though :/

Back