diy solar

diy solar

New Growatt hybrid inverter SPH10000TL- HU-US split phase

The package is lost- if it was ever shipped.

He said wait two days and I'll send a new one. I said can you send it today and he said no.

I asked him to just go ahead and cancel the order. I'll wait till signature solar has them in stock.

I'll let @kscessnadriver be in charge of testing it out

Bummer, you were more likely to get the thing installed quickly than I am.

Bummer, you were more likely to get the thing installed quickly than I am.
I know but oh well.

I wonder if signature solar doesn't plan to carry it. They've introduced about 10 new growatt products to their website in the last couple of weeks but not the hu-us

It would undercut 18kpv imo

Competition keeps the prices low. Solar should be affordable. I hope more units come out to drop the prices even further. The On grid Growatts are dirt cheap.. which is why I considered going that route initially. I'd like to see the hybrids get down around those prices eventually.

Competition keeps the prices low. Solar should be affordable. I hope more units come out to drop the prices even further. The On grid Growatts are dirt cheap.. which is why I considered going that route initially. I'd like to see the hybrids get down around those prices eventually.
I agree. when the 18kpv came out solark dropped the price of their "15k" by $1200
if this is a good unit both solark and eg4 will be dropping their prices again.

if you plan for batteries in the future i think the hu-us is going to be a more cost effective proposition than the min xh with their ARO batteries

I agree. when the 18kpv came out solar dropped the price of their "15k" by $1200

if you plan for batteries in the future i think the hu-us is going to be a more cost effective proposition than the min xh with their ARO batteries

Yeah that's what I figured as well + more options + backup power when the grid is down. I started heavily looking into solar at the end of last year and the solar manufacturers were finally seeming to be getting proactive with the CA compliance /new rules (which are required in my area). Now that more systems/batteries are on the list, hardware is a lot cheaper than even 6 months ago... By several thousand dollars. In another 6 months... maybe thousands more. I'm waiting on the reviews from this inverter because it's more around the price I want to pay but maybe it's too early still. I've installed a mini split and window unit so I don't have to run the whole house AC all day long and it's cut my cost considerably so I'm not stressing about getting solar right away.

Yeah that's what I figured as well + more options + backup power when the grid is down. I started heavily looking into solar at the end of last year and the solar manufacturers were finally seeming to be getting proactive with the CA compliance /new rules (which are required in my area). Now that more systems/batteries are on the list, hardware is a lot cheaper than even 6 months ago... By several thousand dollars. In another 6 months... maybe thousands more. I'm waiting on the reviews from this inverter because it's more around the price I want to pay but maybe it's too early still. I've installed a mini split and window unit so I don't have to run the whole house AC all day long and it's cut my cost considerably so I'm not stressing about getting solar right away.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the MIN line + SYN 200 for home back up, when I started looking into this new inverter. Glad I did, as it opens up so many more battery options

Curious what inverter model specifically you are referring to by “on grid Growatts”?

I was looking at these originally... but I'd rather have the hybrid. A 10k inverter for 1299. I consider that pretty dirt cheap. Even the off grid EG4 6000XP, which seems to be really popular, is more expensive. If I decided not to go with batteries and just strictly wanted solar to supplement my power, I might pull the trigger on one of these. Compare that to the same size of the hybrid and it's half the price.

or this

Which makes it seem totally crazy to me that my neighbors have 7kw systems that they paid $30,000+ for without batteries. Totally nuts to me. Buy a Growatt, a bunch of panels, install yourself, and save 25,000.

I agree. when the 18kpv came out solark dropped the price of their "15k" by $1200
The GW seems to be closer to the 12k than the 15k. Plus. The GW lacks the grid passthrough capability. I would need two GW for on-grid. Getting pretty close to the cost of a 15k at that point. Depends if you prefer one box or two on your wall.

The GW seems to be closer to the 12k than the 15k. Plus. The GW lacks the grid passthrough capability. I would need two GW for on-grid. Getting pretty close to the cost of a 15k at that point. Depends if you prefer one box or two on your wall.
Actually two of these are the cost of one 18kpv . You could almost buy three for one solark "15k"

So compare two of these to one solark and they blow the solark completely out of the water .

This has 62.5a of grid passthrough

Last edited:
Actually two of these are the cost of one 18kpv . You could almost buy three for one solark "15k"

So compare two of these to one solark and they blow the solark completely out of the water .

This has 62.5a of grid passthrough
But the Sol-Ark has 200a of grid passthrough, and only one spot on the wall.

There are times when running off one 15k is not enough (when off grid), so 62.5a isn't going to cut it. I can cut back when grid is down, but I don't want to think about it when the grid is up.

I get it that 3 GW provides redundancy, and potential for a lot more solar. But a 15k maxed out with PV is more than enough for my needs. And, if it wasn't, then I would need a lot more inverter than 3 GW.

I'm just saying that One GW is not direct competition for a 15k (but would be for the 8k and 12k). If you are a seller of solar, the 200amp passthrough is worth the few thousand $ (on a $30,000 system) and give the customer an invisible system when grid is up. Grid down, they can understand living with the limitation. On any bigger system, it seems like the 15k scales better than the GW.

I think GW is great for a DIY'er that understands the ins and outs. GW has always been "save a few bucks", and that is their niche.

Last edited:

There are times when running off one 15k is not enough (when off grid), so 62.5a isn't going to cut it. I can cut back when grid is down, but I don't want to think about it when the grid is up.

I get it that 3 GW provides redundancy, and potential for a lot more solar. But a 15k maxed out with PV is more than enough for my needs. And, if it wasn't, then I would need a lot more inverter than 3 GW.

Yeah, but then you’re dealing with Solark, and the particular type of people that brand attracts. If you’re into the “OMG the world is going to end from an EMP”, that might mesh well. Personally I think the Solark types are out in the deep end

Yeah, but then you’re dealing with Solark, and the particular type of people that brand attracts. If you’re into the “OMG the world is going to end from an EMP”, that might mesh well. Personally I think the Solark types are out in the deep end
If a product fits for me, I could careless who else uses it or what anybody thinks of it

We’ve been off grid completely for almost a year with large home and no need for a generator (which I have) with two Growatt 11.4 version 2 MIN-US inverters and ARO batteries - lot of people don’t like the cost of that combination but I would not trade them. If I was starting over I would look hard at the one that is the subject of this thread, but I think I’d end up sticking with the batteries and the inverters I have.

Last edited:

Why would you want to passthrough 200a through a 50a inverter? Serious question

3 growatts will give you 30kw of inverting power 24/7 in an off grid scenario. A solark 15k gives you 12kw off grid. Id rather have 30kw on tap vs 12. Even two growatts at 20kw is more power than one solark off grid, so if we are comparing off grid I'd take two growatts vs 1 solark 15k and use the $2k left over for half a pallet of solar panels.
I'm just saying that One GW is not direct competition for a 15k (but would be for the 8k and 12k).

It's almost direct competition and two would destroy one solark.
If you are a seller of solar, the 200amp passthrough is worth the few thousand $ (on a $30,000 system) and give the customer an invisible system when grid is up. Grid down, they can understand living with the limitation. On any bigger system, it seems like the 15k scales better than the GW.

Again I want to understand why one would want to pass 200a through a 50a inverter. Doesn't seem smart to me.

Again I want to understand why one would want to pass 200a through a 50a inverter. Doesn't seem smart to me.

In the case of a Solark failure, you could still run everything thru that single pass thru, in theory. However, it seems like most smart installs include some sort of manual transfer switch, to act as a bypass of the entire PV system (to be fair, I'm also planning that on my Growatt install).

In the case of a Solark failure, you could still run everything thru that single pass thru, in theory. However, it seems like most smart installs include some sort of manual transfer switch, to act as a bypass of the entire PV system (to be fair, I'm also planning that on my Growatt install).
But why are we passing 200a through the inverter in the first place?

I always struggle with this topic of passing everything through vs having a critical loads panel and self consumption back to main panel if extra PV available. Guess passing everything through makes it easier but chances being able to power all your loads with a SA15k or EG418kpv is slim, or in my case it isn’t possible at all.

I always struggle with this topic of passing everything through vs having a critical loads panel and self consumption back to main panel if extra PV available. Guess passing everything through makes it easier but chances being able to power all your loads with a SA15k or EG418kpv is slim, or in my case it isn’t possible at all.

Which is why a couple of us are saying by running 2x of these Growatts, you come out ahead, can run everything, and spend less money than the Solark.

Because you're running the entire house off of it. 200A service, you just place the Solark directly between the meter and a 200A panel.
That risks the entire house overloading the inverter, then you get no power.

Since you don't know when the grid will fail, you can't manage your loads to be within inverter ratings at all times.

Mike C.

That risks the entire house overloading the inverter, then you get no power.

Since you don't know when the grid will fail, you can't manage your loads to be within inverter ratings at all times.

Mike C.

I'll be honest, I don't know that much about the Solark products, beyond knowing they're out of my price range.

diy solar

diy solar
Back