diy solar

diy solar

New RV Solar installation

Llacours

Newbie here, I’m a bit baffled as how to integrate a new solar system on my coach with the existing systems. Systems I’ve seen seen to be completely separate from existing chargers, inverters, etc. I would think I would be replacing or upgrading those systems, not just leaving them in place. Any clarification on this would be really helpful. TIA, Lou

What MotorHome do you have?

If you just want to add solar it is not difficult.

Mount solar panels on roof, run wires to where you will mount your solar charge controller (mppt), add a switch or breaker on the positive line to”turn the add sun off”. Run the power wires from the mppt to the house battery- if the mppt is any distance from the battery- install a fuse on the positive wire near the battery (fuses protect the wires).

Especially on a MotorHome I recommend Victron mppt.

How much solar are you planning to add? Sometimes the hardest thing is finding the right size panels for the roof.

Let us know what questions you have.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Newmar Dutchstar diesel. Unit already has a charger and inverter. Do I take these out when I add new ones for Solar.

I have a 2005 Newmar Dutchstar diesel. Unit already has a charger and inverter. Do I take these out when I add new ones for Solar.
Something like a Multiplus II will allow you to bypass the charger and inverter. I'm leaving my charger in place strictly for backup, but it is disconnected from shore power.

No you don’t need to take them out. The solar is just an add-on. Think of it as a battery charger from the sun.

When I first got my 2000 Monaco, I added 800w of solar and a Victron mppt 100/50 Solar Charge Controller - didn’t take anything out.

Monaco originally installed a 85w solar panel with a little solar Charge Controller - I left it running. A few years later I needed more solar so I took off the 85w panel and replaced it with two 210w panels and replaced the oem solar charge controller with a Victron 100/30. You can have multiple charge sources.

Back to your original question- you don’t need to replace the inverter. Mine started to have problems so I did replace it with a Victron Multiplus 12/3000. Since then a new model has come out a Multiplus II 12/300 2x120v. This model works very well on RV’s that have the 50amp plug.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for the input. I do have 50 amp. Also im figuring out how to tie my generator to the system. I’m thinking the shore power to the multiplus-2 should be attached after the existing crossover switch. Does that make sense?

The best place for the Multiplus II2x120v is right after the transfer switch. That way “everything”on your rig can run off the inverter. (If a 3000 Everything means all the small items, plus two medium items or one large item).

You can then take the old charger out (or disable it), because the Victron Multiplus will charge the batteries when on solar or generator.

diy solar

diy solar
Back