diy solar

diy solar

New to solar.. Can I use 1-100w 12v panel + mppt to charge 24v batt?

bigjoncoop

Hey fellaz,

I'm new to the whole Solar game but have been easy to lithium ion batteries for a while now. I like to reclaim cells and build custom packs. I currently in the middle of building a 50Ah 6s 18650 pack to put into a DIY solar charge case. I made many of these types of cases but never to be charged with solar power.

I decided to build this one for my mother who lives in Florida so she can have backup power in case of power outage from a hurricane etc... but I like the idea of her being able to charge you with solar in case of a long power outage...

She's 65 years old and would have to set up the solar panel if she ever needed to.

So my question is can I charge a 24 volt battery with one 12 volt solar panel connected to an mppt charge controller? I don't see why that's not possible since using an mppt and not pwm. I have seen some threads on Google how about a year ago were people talking about Step Up mppt controllers are not available etc.. but it would seem strange that nowadays that it would not be possible...

Or if they still don't have an mppt charge controller that could be purchased relatively cheap that is able to do this can I put a step-up / boost converter in between a solar panel and the mppt charge controller?

And if none of that is possible or even if it is what I'd be better off just getting a 24 volt panel instead of a 12 volt. Again I just need this to be relatively lightweight so all she would need to do is just plug the solar panel directly into the case.

Thx

Yes, you can get boost SCCs instead of the normal buck SCCs. A similar conversation where you can find a boost MPPT controller (Genasun) is here.

Hey fellaz,

I'm new to the whole Solar game but have been easy to lithium ion batteries for a while now. I like to reclaim cells and build custom packs. I currently in the middle of building a 50Ah 6s 18650 pack to put into a DIY solar charge case. I made many of these types of cases but never to be charged with solar power.

I decided to build this one for my mother who lives in Florida so she can have backup power in case of power outage from a hurricane etc... but I like the idea of her being able to charge you with solar in case of a long power outage...

She's 65 years old and would have to set up the solar panel if she ever needed to.

So my question is can I charge a 24 volt battery with one 12 volt solar panel connected to an mppt charge controller? I don't see why that's not possible since using an mppt and not pwm. I have seen some threads on Google how about a year ago were people talking about Step Up mppt controllers are not available etc.. but it would seem strange that nowadays that it would not be possible...

Or if they still don't have an mppt charge controller that could be purchased relatively cheap that is able to do this can I put a step-up / boost converter in between a solar panel and the mppt charge controller?

And if none of that is possible or even if it is what I'd be better off just getting a 24 volt panel instead of a 12 volt. Again I just need this to be relatively lightweight so all she would need to do is just plug the solar panel directly into the case.

Thx
For 24v you should consider 7s.

Yes, you can get boost SCCs instead of the normal buck SCCs. A similar conversation where you can find a boost MPPT controller (Genasun) is here.

Cool. Thx for your guys quik response.

@DThames - yeah it is 7s. Lol other wise I'd would only have a 24v battery for a few mins each cycle, and end up with a 19v - 22v battery... ?

So in the situation I'm better off using a step up mppt charge controller if I only want to use one solar panel

Cool. Thx for your guys quik response.

@DThames - yeah it is 7s. Lol other wise I'd would only have a 24v battery for a few mins each cycle, and end up with a 19v - 22v battery... ?

So in the situation I'm better off using a step up mppt charge controller if I only want to use one solar panel
Are you buying packs to get your cells from?

Last edited:
Back