diy solar

diy solar

Single or Dual MPPT for Sliding Stacked Solar Panel Setup

asot550

I'm in the process of planning a sliding solar panel setup for the roof of my RV conversion and I'm pretty confused about how to best wire up a system to capture the most energy.

The plan is for two ~400-450w panels (probably bifacial but I don't think that matters much for this discussion) stacked on top of each other, with a slider to expose the bottom panel. When extended, besides partial shading concerns, a 2S configuration on a single mppt charge controller would work fine. I'm more concerned about the the stowed config where one of the panels will be fully shaded (possibly some extremely minor irradiance through a bifacial top panel?).

In a 2S one mppt config, when stowed I think the fully shaded panel will drop the entire string down to 0 output. 2P and a single MPPT I think works out ok, but starts to get up into decently high amperages when extended (potentially 30+ amps or so).

The fourth option is two mppts and run a single panel to each mppt. Ignoring the power cost to run the MPPT that's the most ideal, but is it worth the cost? I was trying to figure out if one mppt and one pwm would work out ok, but I think you still get quite a bit more out of the system with a dual mppt.

Any theory or help is greatly appreciated!

Back