diy solar

diy solar

New to Solar. Small irrigation setup.

Bcgreatness

Hi. New to this stuff but with a basic understanding on how the set up works. Two days ago I set up an Hqst 100w panel, sunwhale 20v mppt Solar controller with Bluetooth, vestwoods 12v 8ah lifepo4 battery to be used to run a 12v diaphragm pump commonly found in an rv. The pump is hooked up to two rain collection barrels and plan to use it in conjunction with a Wi-Fi irrigation timer for part of my garden this year. Yesterday I completed the panel install and routed everything to a tote where the mppt and battery are located. I have a 20a inline fuse between the panel and mppt, another inline 20a fuse between the mppt and battery, and finally one last 20a inline fuse between the battery and the pump. I left the fuse out between the battery and pump to see how the equipment worked prior to adding a load. I went out today to see how the controller was working and how the battery was charging. Was getting good power from panel to controller. Controller had an error code stating that the battery was over charging. I’m not sure how because I thought the controller was supposed to prevent that from happening. I had already the night before set the parameters to lithium battery charging for a 12v system. Only thing I can think of besides the panel being way overkill for the battery I’m using, is that the parameters are set incorrectly. Am I on the right track or did I miss something?

I forgot to mention that I’m using the ChargePro2.0 app and the model of the sunwhale mppt Solar controller is MS-2420N.

Figured it out. App for the charge controller that was in the user manual was outdated and had poor not user friendly settings and layout. Company directed me to the new app which is still not user friendly but has proper parameters. The lithium setting alone was not enough to properly charge the tiny battery. Using custom user settings I was able to get proper parameters. System and battery running perfect.

Back