diy solar

diy solar

Newb wants to charge portable 12v system DC to DC from Hybrid Rav4

Betwixt+&-

Trying to understand best options to charge my budget portable 12v system (see below) from my RAV4 Hybrid Gen5 DC to DC.

The portable system is 2x 12v 100Ah LFP batteries in parallel; 2000W pure sine inverter; 200W portable solar panel.

First thought was Victron Orion 12/12 30A Isolated DC to DC installed to RAV4 alternator...
BUT Gen5 Hybrid doesn't have an alternator: ICE uses inverter to charge traction battery and Aux 12v battery (BTW Aux used only for electronics, not as starter... that comes from traction). Aux is FLA 55Ah.

So...could I use the same Victron Orion but connected instead to 12v Aux battery to charge my system?

(BTW if the Victron Orion is an ok option but seems like overkill, I'm thinking long-term to when I buy an RV and install my system in it: That will be an ICE Ford Transit or similar, which would have an alternator, so would be able to use the Orion in that as well.)

This is my first post so apologies ahead of time if I said something mind-bogglingly inaccurate!

The unknown is how the system charges the 55Ah ancillaries battery. If I were designing the system I would ensure the power taken from the traction battery was as low as possible. Having the Orion load, about 35 amps, may be, together with other loads, higher than the design allows.
Perhaps a experimental procedure loading the aux battery and evaluate. I would expect some sort of overcurrent protection. Simple fuse or electronic detection circuit, would protect the vehicle DC traction to DC aux. There may be something published as to the maximum current of the DC converter.

Mike

I would tap into the Traction Battery and get a solar charge controller that can take the roughly 200-300v to charge your 12v. Max continuous draw is about 3.5kW (limit of Rav4's ability to recharge traction battery with ICE).

Back