diy solar

diy solar

Newcomer looking for advice, DIY battery box or Ecoflow Delta 2

weird.vibes

Hello all!

I'm yet another CPAP user (technically BIPAP) who enjoys camping and wants a UPS backup at home. After combing through all the threads on this forum and others, one thing is clear - not all CPAP pressure settings/machines use the same amount of power. I'm using a Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto, and according to my Kill-a-watt meter, I used 67wh over an 8 hour period with no heat settings enabled, I figure 80-100wh just to be safe. With my normal heat/humidity settings however, that number goes up to an average of 400wh for an 8 hour period, so I figure I need to assume 500wh would be a safe number to work with. Just to be clear I'm unplugging the watt meter during the day to have accurate watt hours.

Now that that's out of the way I do feel comfortable doing a DIY system, having done a solar install on our travel trailer (victron 100/30, 270w residential panel, battleborn heated 100ah), although in this economy I've opted to leave the trailer home for solo trips which is why I'm considering a portable unit. My cpap unit runs on DC but will not work on straight 24v and I already have the 12>24 converter cigarette adapter.

In the field I'd use an MPPT CC and solar to charge the battery, but what I'm unclear on is - is it as simple as a battery charger plugged into 120v, into a 12v lifepo4 100ah battery, running the (fused) device from the battery? Obviously this isn't really a UPS but is there a better DC option for in home use or am I just over thinking it? Using this thread for reference.

Hello there, you should have just posted this as a reply to my thread. (I would have seen this right away) Anyway it is just as simple as having the charger always connected to the battery, with Victron ring terminal connector. And then same with Resmed 12V adapter is plugged into a 12V extension plug with ring terminals. (This has a fuse, as does the Resmed 12V to 24V adapter) So it really is a UPS, even if not wasting power on inverting to AC. The charger supplies ample power to run heated CPAP, and charge an maintain battery. I have been using this setup for over a year now, and it has *never failed* me.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back