diy solar

diy solar

2 solar set ups feeding 1 battery.

Pete's Pop Up

I have a roof mounted Go Power 100 watt solar panel with 10 amp PWM controller (Forest River's choice in solar) and a Renogy 200 watt suitcase panel with a 20 amp PWM controller. Because we cannot make any adjustments to the roof top panel to maximize solar capture we use bo.th set ups. My question is, can I use both simultaneously to 1- Hybrid Gel AGM 100 amp hour battery? If not, my plan would be to purchase a 3 position battery selector switch to select which system is providing power to the battery.

The trailer also has "Solar on the Side" which is an SAE plug that appears to be wired back to the RV's solar controller. My intention would be to rewire that as an independent input to the battery or to the battery selector switch. Currently I have to remove the battery cover and use alligator clips on the battery terminals to add power from the Renogy system

I am open to other thoughts or ideas. Thanks for the help.

You can have many charging sources charging a battery at the same time so run all three at once.

Also pwm are cheap chargers (the absolutely cheapest possible). Just by upgrading to a mppt charger you will gain some additional watts.

Without knowing your trailer or your goals…. I would suggest removing the single panel on the roof - figure out how many solar panels you can put on the roof, replace the charge controller. And probably replace the wires from the the Solar Charge controller to the battery (with the new one - you will probably need thicker wires).

Because I am a Victron fan, I would recommend a Victron mppt smart controller (can’t recommend a size until you figure out the panels). If adding 400w of panels -probably a 100/30. Also add a Victron Smartshunt or BMV712 - shunt based battery monitor- that way you know your battery is 84% instead of three led bars.

Good Luck

Back