diy solar

diy solar

UPS parts check please

KevinC_63559

About to order the final pieces to replace a number of APC UPS gel cell based systems with a single large Victron and LiFePO4 based solution. Would appreciate a parts check - would be annoyed to order and head-slap realizing I missed some small something I needed. So:

(1) Victron compact 2000W 12VDC 80 amp charger via Current Connection
(2) 12V 100amp LiFePO4 batteries (already owned), will run in parallel to provide the ~180amps total power the Victron could draw at max output.
(1) Pair of 100amp battery-to-battery M8/M8 cables to connect the batteries in parallel. Note the 2nd battery is BMS limited to 100amps via Current Connection. 7+ inches hole to hole.
(1) Pair of 200amp battery-to-Victron M8/M8 cables to carry the combined load via Current Connection. 3-4 feet to give some positioning flexibility.
(1) 20 amp, short 12 gauge extension cord to be cut and used to power the Victron and provide outlets for AC (Victron will be configured to draw a max of 11 amps which is about 2X my expected power usage to minimize Peak Demand utility charges) via Home Depot. 20amp cord in case I opt to up that a bit.
(1) Victron MK3-USB adapter via Current Connection for configuring the max power draw
(1) Good anti-surge power strip to connect all UPS sourced 120V devices too.

Note: The batteries have blue-tooth monitoring, so shouldn't need any other battery monitor - right?
Note 2: Going with a 12V system so I can draw against the 12V batteries directly for a few low amperage 12V devices I have like my SDR, a USB charger, and my Heathkit GC-1000 (yeah, its about 50 years old and still working. 120V power supplied recently died but works fine when fed a half-amp of 12V power).

Am I missing anything? Perhaps:

(1) 200 amp battery-to-Victron fuse??? The BMSes will limit current to 200 amps max, and max draw of the Victron should be around 180amps. Not sure if this is needed, is highly recommended option, or just excessive.
(1) 200 amp battery on/off switch?
Maybe bus bars for connecting the two batteries together?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back