diy solar

diy solar

Newpowa - Flexible 100 watt panels - outstanding output on first test

Murphyslaww

Just wanted to pass on, as a lot of these flexible panels I've seen reviewed had low power output, sometimes significantly lower than advertised. We're getting ready to start an overland build on our Audi TDI Q7, and need some light panels for the top of the rooftop tent, and wanted to start looking at some. The one overlanding solar panel review I read, had 3-4 different brands and the cheapest was $236 for a 100watt panel.

I just purchased two of Newpowa 100watt flexible, 4lb-ish panels, and out in full sun, the two in series was just producing 211 watts. Ideal conditions, and they are leaned up with two fans that are blowing underneath them, likely cooling the panels. I was using the fans to produce some load.

I had done a youtube short on them on my channel, when they were producing 180 watts earlier in the morning, which I thought was great, then went out just now, and almost couldn't believe my eyes.

They run $99 which seems like an outstanding deal on something that seems to perform as advertised(if not better).
They have a dimpled surface, which some may or may not like.

I have two of their non-flexible 100 watt panels and they perform ok, generally 75-80 watts. These ones were a surprise for sure.

I'm not an affiliate, and don't have any connection with newpowa.

Last edited:
What is the output without the fans blowing in them and what is the ambient temperature?
ambient is 72f, and I'll let them warm up a bit. Watched for a few minutes with the fans off, and they were still hitting 200watts.

checked again, and still hitting 200watts, but there is airflow beneath, which I may or may not be able to provide when attached to the rooftop tent. Good to know they can hit their max rating though.

The two flexibles are producing about 10-15 watts more than the older Newpowa non-flexible panel

PXL_20231103_195001164.jpg

Last edited:
Back