diy solar

diy solar

NOOB Question

ericstott

I own a Fiat 500e, and cannot find any great definition of a cycle. (Well, I really haven't looked.)
If I drive my car and the battery drops to 75%, I plug it in, it charges back to 100%, is that considered a cycle?

This is not the forum for this question as this forum is for vehicle mounted power systems.

Regardless, Yes. It's a cycle. Cycles to 100% are the worst. Attempt to keep your battery as close to 50% as possible for maximum life. If you only use 20% of your capacity per day, limit it to 40-60% or 50-70%.

Yeah, this isn't really the best forum for this question. A Fiat EV forum would be better.

I drive a Nissan Leaf. I don't charge unless my state of charge is less than 30%. That's just me. There have been cases where the Leaf battery failed because the owner was charging the battery after even short trips. Moral to the story: be sure you read up on best practices for charging your specific vehicle. What works on a Tesla, may not be appropriate for a Fiat.

Ya, I realize that this isn't the right forum, but I want to chat with some people who really know what they are talking about!

Thanks for your input none-the-less.

Plenty of folks here who really (think they) know what they're talking about. :)

I'm frequently reminded of the fact that no matter how much I think I know, there's still plenty to learn... :)

Back