diy solar

diy solar

Odd readings on SCC?

WorldwideDave

On my SCC it displays 4.1 amps.

With my fluke and Klein meters if I disconnect PV solar side from SCC and connect my meter, I see 17.6 amps. Is the SCC displaying amps out to batteries? It does for volts. Not sure why I thought it would show amps in from PV.

My shunts are cheap Chinese ones recommended by will.

My SCC is a renogy knock off from china. 20 amps max.

I do have a shunt. Connected between batteries and SCC. It generally matches the volts and watts on the scc within 1/10 of a volt.

I have another shunt. If I wanted to see what was going into the scc, would I wire it inline on ground side between panels and scc? Shunt has 4 wires. 2 for the shunt and two I presume would go to battery 12v and negative the way the other shunt is. Diagrams would be helpful, or walk me through it.

Thanks for reading!

You can use a PV shunt wired on the negative PV side (note: this is not a ground typically) I run one myself since my AIO does not report accurately incoming PV wattage. If you do not wire in an additional power source however the shunt monitor will not retain total amounts after the sun goes down.

Incidentally to wire it think of the SCC as the load and the panels as your battery. Remember that your shunt has a voltage limit.

Last edited:
Thanks will check shunt voltage limit. Think it is 100v but will make sure.

Product description reads:

DROK 6.5-100V 100A 12V 24V 36V 48V 60V 72V Volt Amp Watt Meter, LCD Display Multimeter Voltage Current Energy RV Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Wattmeter Panel with 100A Shunt​

I think my total PV voltage is 22.45 volts or similar, and amps is no more than 20.
Yes I will want to see total watt hours generated over time so will want to have 12v power to it. Thanks for your reply.

Also I just read my SCC manual, and it says the cycle displays through charge side stuff only. So adding the shunt I have already in my possession will get me what I’m seeking until I can upgrade to victory battery monitor. Someday.

diy solar

diy solar
Back