diy solar

diy solar

Load from the SCC with battery monitor - how?

drabina

I have one 100W solar panel with Victron MPPT 75/10 solar controller (with Bluetooth). This system is in my car (well, panel is on the roof of course). The load on the system is two USB ports plus a 12V cigarette socket where a refrigerator is plugged in. According to the SCC specs, it can provide continuous 15A on the load terminals which is fine for my needs. I would also like to install a cheap battery meter (coulometer with a shunt). Instructions that came with the battery meter show it connected between the load and the battery. If I connect my load directly to the SCC load ports, do I put the shunt between the SCC and the USB/12V socket?

Thanks. I know the BT option can report info back to the phone app but I would like to still install the battery monitor and shunt. Just to have a quick visualization of the battery status. Somehow 70% capacity speaks to me better than 125Wh consumed.

I guess if I use the load terminals on the SCC, the shunt will go between the load terminal and the USB/12V plug, correct?

Thanks. I know the BT option can report info back to the phone app but I would like to still install the battery monitor and shunt. Just to have a quick visualization of the battery status. Somehow 70% capacity speaks to me better than 125Wh consumed.

I guess if I use the load terminals on the SCC, the shunt will go between the load terminal and the USB/12V plug, correct?

If you want to see ONLY what is discharged and never see it recharged, then yes. The shunt can't see current that doesn't pass through it, and the loads aren't going to sent current to the battery.

If you want an SoC that accounts for both in and out, install per @TacomaJoe

Back