diy solar

diy solar

Outputs not matching

MIKEY-W

Greetings! and thank you for the add!

2024 panel.jpgRoof View..JPGSolar Layout.jpg

I have a parallel system. Two identical but separate systems. The power output from the identical charge controllers (EP EVER TRACER AN4210 with MT50 Remote meter) go to the bus bar, then the fuse and on to the battery.

The TRACER charge controllers have the exact same firmware and the settings are set exactly the same.

If you look at the MT50 display for the right controller you will see that it's not putting out any power.

Right display - 85.3 volts from the panels but 0 amps to the controller and then battery.

But the Left display is 53.9 volts from the panels and 4.9 amps to the controller and 18.7 amps to the battery.

This photo was taken when the sun was hitting both arrays of panels at the same angle with no shading.

If I shut off the breaker on the left array of panels, then the right controller will begin production of power again, close to what the left array was producing .

When I turn the breaker for the left array back on, then both controllers will produce comparable power for a short time but then the right controller will go back to zero.

My goal was to have two totally separate systems for redundancy.

Do I need diodes on the output of each controller so they can't backfeed each other? Or should I get a controller with higher capacity and just use one controller?

Thank you all in advance for any help!

Do I need diodes on the output of each controller so they can't backfeed each other?
That would stop both of them, because they wouldn’t see the battery voltage.

I would guess that the load is small enough that one can cover it.
So whichever is doing the better job is taking over. And the other is assuming that the system or battery is satisfied.
You can verify that by increasing the load. To see if the other one jumps in to help.

That would stop both of them, because they wouldn’t see the battery voltage.

I would guess that the load is small enough that one can cover it.
So whichever is doing the better job is taking over. And the other is assuming that the system or battery is satisfied.
You can verify that by increasing the load. To see if the other one jumps in to help.
Thats what I figured on the diodes, but thought I would ask...

Back